IGNORED

PRODUCT ALERT "Roadgear tire gauges"

I used to have an awesome tire gauge purchased years ago from Roadgear..

http://roadgear.com//ready-digital-tire-gauge-p-39.html?osCsid=511f930054c43a7b8504bb4dc4a73edd

Unfortunately, I lost mine on an earlier road trip this year and bought a replacement and one for my buddy.. Unfortunately, the new version has turned out to be nothing but crap crap and more crap.. The company has been good enough to issue out new replacements without charge.. But those were not working properly either.. bad electronics in them like the previous ones.. then they sent again NEW gauges but those too were crap.. They acknowledged they discovered a bad production batch, either bad integrated circuit boards or bad batteries or both festering their stock.. So they sent me new gauges again (4th time now) and though one of the pair works, one of them failed miserably..

The alert is about how the seemingly working gauges reads 10 PSI too high of what the pressure actually is.. Every dead gauge that worked for a while then failed would read 10 PSI too high.

My worry is that there might be a lot of people using these gauges and running around with too high of pressures in their tires.. Since some of us run our tires at the maximum ratings as it is, I would have to think what would happen on a long highway trip with 50 or 55 PSI in your tires?

So if you have one of these gauges, do yourself the favour and double check them against another gauge to make sure you're not inadvertently heading for a dangerous situation..

Guest Slab_Ryder

I bought the exact one as well, about 2 months ago. Worked very well for 2 tire checks, then died. Bought a replacement battery and it worked well for 1 tire check. Am very disappointed, and they are GARBAGE, IMHO

I bought a Slime brand gauge a few weeks ago. 0-120 psi went to check the preasure on the gooseneck trlr before I used it and it shot the end out. No second chance I paid 3 times as much for a Milton, and the tire that blew the Slime gauge apart only had 45 psi in it. Rating on those tires is 85 psi so I had about half. Now think about this, had the slime gauge not came apart and was mearly reading a high number say 75 so I put in 10 lbs more now true tire preasure is 55, I'm still 30 psi light. But in not knowing the true state of my tire psi I went on and loaded the trailer to its rated capacity of 14,000 lbs and took off down the interstate at 70 mph. The heat generated by the low preasure situation would cause that tire to come apart and possibly cause an accident.

A good tire gauge is cheep when you look at the reality of what can and probably would happen due to poor information. Doubly worse when your on a bike. I have not experienced a catostrphic tire failure on the bike nor do I ever hope to. Tires are your your first most important concern IMHO. Check them often and accurately. Thats my :2cents: spend it wisely.

:7_6_3[1]:

Not to 'cross the line' here, but I have a Harley tire gauge that is incredibly tough and easy to use. It has a flexible cord that you press on the tire stem while holding the gauge in your hand. It also has a tire tread measuring device in it. I've probably bought 5 digital tire gauges, but this one is by far the best and long lasting.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/gma_product.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524448765800&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302490891&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302490891&CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=10134198680242562&bmUID=1259706011767&bmLocale=en_US

I like to cross check a new tire guage with another one on the same tire at the same moment, becuase I have found one or two along the way that gave spurious readings. Whether mechanical or digital, any of them can be wrong. I've got a Sears digital I've had for years, already changed batteries in it twice. It works great, gives consistent readings, lighted display.

I've also got a Harley brand guage/pump that I use for my forks and shock. It is a lovely thing. Cost around $50. If the Harley tire guage is anything like my suspension guage/pump, then it is something to have.