IGNORED

gas tank colapsed

oldgoat

hello i just got a call from my friend dianne up in north dakota. she said last night she filled up her gas tank then put it in the garage to get ready for a ride today. well she went inside to start up the bike and saw the tank looked like someone caved it in.? she is upset as i would be too she hopes this would be coverd under her warrenty? she bought the bike last year vstar model. i tould her to call the place down here where she bought it then go to a local dealer up there im sure they will replace the tank. the poor woman is in tears. she said she cant even find one on ebay in good condition and close to her silver/black color.

is this a common problem with vstar motorcycles?

they are going to order her a new tank. so she should be good to go?

not sure if they just send a blank type one and she needs to get it painted or they send on thats all ready in her color combo? she thought the heat might have did it?

they tould her they could put on a tank from a salvage bike for her to ride untill she gets her new tank . she said no and left it at the dealers. she said thanks for the advice. this is her second bike that got some damage last bike was totaled her hot pink ninja. she is verry happy with her vstar but now she is a little upset but that should fade when she gets it fixed. so is there a fix to keep that vent from plugging up again when she gets the new tank?

Ok, I'll bite, if the tank is full and is just sitting in the garage with the engine off how can this be possible..??

Well, one possibility is that it was quite hot when she filled up, then the temperature dropped quite a bit overnight. As the gas and air in the tank "shrank" due to the lower temps, the plugged vent prevented air from filling in the "vacuum" caused by the shrinkage of gas and air. With 15 p.s.i. of air pressing down on the tank and a partial vacuum in the tank, it collapsed till the vacuum was "filled" with tank wall or the metal created a form strong enough to resist the outside pressure. It's possible that the tank was not completely filled and that she used up some gas getting back home. This would leave even more air space to shrink when the temps dropped.

Andy

Actually the closer the tank is to full the greater the force of a plugged vent will be.

If you want to see how this happens, take a metal gallon jug, fill it with hot water, seal the cap, and put it in the frig over night. Gas is even worse because it expands and contracts from temp change even more than water does.

Actually the closer the tank is to full the greater the force of a plugged vent will be.

If you want to see how this happens, take a metal gallon jug, fill it with hot water and put it in the frig over night. Gas is even worse because it expands and contracts from temp change even more than water does.

Yep, that's right. I had forgotten that till you mentioned it. Then I remembered the condition of one of my new "no vent" gas cans after a temp change. Can you imagine how poor a fill up we would get if a station's storage tanks were on the surface instead of buried underground?

Andy

Just to satisfy my curosity...Is there a chance of the 06 RSV having this problem?

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Any tank with a vent has a chance of this happening. The vent for the RSV is under the plastic cover around the fuel cap. It's easy enough to remove the cover to access the hose. Remove the hose from the tank and make sure that air can flow through it.