IGNORED

Tent Trailer & Storage

SilvrT

I've recently bought a Lees-ure Lite tent trailer and although there appears to be sufficient room for storage of camping gear, etc, I was wondering if anyone has ideas or suggestions of methods to carry all or additional stuff on the top of the trailer?

Link to the trailer

http://www.leesurelite.com/tenttrailers.asp

Here's an idea I had in mind.... to attach one of these to the top...

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/VehicleRacksCarriers/RooftopCarriers/PRD~0401064P/SportRack+18+cu.+Ft.+Enclosed+Car-top+Carrier.jsp?locale=en

It would have to be attached in such a way as to easilly remove it and the idea would be to store the lighter and bulkier stuff in it such as clothing, sleeping bags, things a person might want to access easilly while on the road, and what-not.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions .... all appreciated.

last girlfriend had that trailer and it was great and simple to camp with, she loved it and I was amazed how much space it had. Her solution was to just find some medium height rubbermaid style bins that bungee'ed to the top of the trailer for extra storage. Hers also had some 3 or 4 inch high x 12 in wide x 30in long deep pull out trays mounted under the trailer for stuff like tent pegs, marshmallow sticks etc.

Brian

I have seen some car top carriers that were longer and shorter in height that might be better to use over a short/fat style. Going with a slimmer designed car topper would reduce potential wind drag. The one in your link may well fit those requirements as it doesn't provide the actual dimensions of the unit.

Your idea does have some merit thou for light weight and easly grabbed gear such as rain gear or jackets, etc.

Larry

The one in your link may well fit those requirements as it doesn't provide the actual dimensions of the unit.

Dimensions are 54L x 39W x 19.5H

I looked at the longer, narrower ones (more designed for skiis, etc) but the prices are considerably higher.

Hers also had some 3 or 4 inch high x 12 in wide x 30in long deep pull out trays mounted under the trailer for stuff like tent pegs, marshmallow sticks etc.

Brian

This trailer has a factory installed storage box underneath for those things.

I also have a Lee-sure-lite, and use a soft top carrier. The benefit to a soft top carrier is you can put it inside while you are sleeping and take it with you folded up if you dont need it when you first leave for your trip.

If you don't already have some shims, that would be a must so you won't damage the hinge when you set it up. I have two 2X4 wedges and two 2X2's depending on the ground and it's unevenness.

Enjoy your trailer. It tows like nothing so don't forget it is there and try and get too close to a gas pump.

I also have a Lee-sure-lite, and use a soft top carrier. The benefit to a soft top carrier is you can put it inside while you are sleeping and take it with you folded up if you dont need it when you first leave for your trip.

If you don't already have some shims, that would be a must so you won't damage the hinge when you set it up. I have two 2X4 wedges and two 2X2's depending on the ground and it's unevenness.

Enjoy your trailer. It tows like nothing so don't forget it is there and try and get too close to a gas pump.

Thanks for this info!

We've towed it from Spokane, WA to Vancouver, BC Canada (unloaded) and found that if the road was really bumpy or had a lot of grouves in it as sometimes happens from large transport trucks, etc, it did tend to feel a little "jerky" but other than that, it towed very well.

Had it up to 140km/h (86mph) on I-5 heading north from Seattle to Vancouver and it felt just fine at that speed.