IGNORED

Wires that go no-where?

EDGE1

Hi there only had the venture about a week know, but have been checking through it for faults and doing routine maintenance . Apart from the slight whine from transmission , and the audio not working, oh and the slightly slippy clutch.

The bike is awesome and in excellent almost as new condtion and im very very pleased i bought her ! But as ive been cleaning and checking over the bike ive found some wires that dont seem to go anywhere one has two wires with a corroded plug, which is strange as theres no corrosion anywhere on the bike at all. The other two plugs have four wires in one and two wires in the other all the wires appear to be black in colour ???

Ive looked in the manual but cant seem to find them ? Can anyone tell me what they might be for. Cheers Edge

[ATTACH]59373[/ATTACH]

Edge,

Welcome.

I'll take a shot at some of this. It appears from the picture you have a '99 Royal Star Venture. That would be considered a 2nd Generation Venture. They are the same from '99 to present day - only the color and minor items (seats and some trim) changed.

1) Slippy clutch. You need a new clutch spring. Check out the classifieds (advertisements for you Limeys) and get an upgraded clutch spring from SkyDoc. This will be quickly taken care of. Inexpensive and easy to do.

2) The slight whine in the transmission - wear earplugs or get your stereo fixed and turn it up. It is in the nature of the beast. There are possible fixes, but they are somewhat troublesome and relatively expensive (and don't always take care of the problem).

3) Per your picture, these wires come out next to the battery. Does this have a trailer hitch on it? These might be connectors for a trailer light harness. Put a meter on them and see if you get a signal when you engage the brakes (need to have the key on, but not necessarily running). There is also an auxilliary power plug in the battery box (or close to it). The previous owner may have wired up a connection for his passenger to wire in heated clothes or something. Again, check for voltage when the power/key is on. Nothing OEM is wired in this area other than the starter circuit, fuel pump, and other minor things that will keep the bike from running at all if they were disconnected.

It also might have been for an auxilliary horn. Again, key on, hook up your meter, and hit the horn switch and see if you get voltage.

Good luck with your new ride.

Oh, and forum rules state you need to post pictures of your bike so we can all OHHH and AHHH at your new pride and joy. Also, spend the US$12 and join in the fun. You will save this many time over with the technical help you will receive. Consider this response for free:smile5:.

Again, welcome.

RR

Ah looks like its something to do with starter relay etc help !!!!! it looks terrible! the three plugs i mention well still dont know what there for but they are in the oem wiring loom , also the starter relay has a couple of none original wires pluged in bottom and theres a bigger plug which has been rewired taking wires to the positive side of the battery with 30 amp fuses in between.!!!!????:confused07:

Well you gots yourself a project there. Find out where they come from and where they were meant to go. Get a factory schematic, if you do not have one already and start tracing each circut. Sounds like a long drawn out process but it really ........ crap it is but you will be happier for doing it. From what little we have seen so far it looks like a decent scoot. The radio is probably one of the connectors I keep hearing about.

If you run into any problems just ask. The only dumb question is the unasked question. And post a full pic of the your ride, so we can all have a good look at her. Shaun

Whatever that is, it is not stock Yamaha but some kind of Frankenstein add on. Looks like a bunch of red wires all in parallel going to a common fuse like somebody wanted a thick cable but didn't have any laying around so they made one out of a bunch of thin ones. It's purpose is anyone's guess...

Hi would anyone be able to take a few pics of there wiring from the starter soleniod to the battery so i can see whats in between .

As the wiring diagrams show me the wires but not the actual plugs or connections. Just so i can see what should be there rather than the mess thats there at the moment . Thanks in advance.:confused24: Edge

Ah looks like its something to do with starter relay etc help !!!!! it looks terrible! the three plugs i mention well still dont know what there for but they are in the oem wiring loom , also the starter relay has a couple of none original wires pluged in bottom and theres a bigger plug which has been rewired taking wires to the positive side of the battery with 30 amp fuses in between.!!!!????:confused07:

Now that is some SERIOUS McGyvering, best i've seen in a while.

Either he didn't have big enough wire, or he had to big an eyelet to attach wires to. Will carry a bunch of current though.

Have I mentioned before how much I dislike crimp style wire connectors,2nd & 3rd pictures are good examples of why. Exposed circuit conducting metal exposed.

I might suggest that you look at every bit of the wiring on this bike.

I see several things in the first picture that are going to possibly bite you in the ass at a very inopuertune time. The yellow twist on connector at left side of page, this can vibrate loose. The white connector at the bottom center looks like it is wrapped around some metal, I think this is possibly a 12v supply. The obvious melted connector. The crimp connections. There appears to be a bare eye ring behind the ATC fuse connector.

:080402gudl_prv:

Gary

The Twist on connectors are for some really naff 12 volt leds fitted on the bike these are coming off tonight , and the bare ring connector is the negitive terminal for the battery. Yes and your right i reckon he didnt have any high enough amp wire so used lots instead :stirthepot: oh dear , the rest of the wiring looks as new and original . ive found out the three white plugs that have been chopped are for a aux alarm which went wrong ! so thats a relief just needs tidying .

Just need to see really what the original soleniod to battery wiring and plugs looked like so i can sort that out . Cheers Edge