IGNORED

5000 mile trip to the Dragon and back

Digger

Just got back from a cross-country trip of just under 5000 miles. Salt Lake City to Kansas City, to Columbus,OH, then down to Raleigh area. Met up with my nephew and went over and did about 1000 miles in and around the Dragon including Tennessee, northern Georgia and North Carolina. The Dragon was awesome, ran it 4 times. Ended up having to replace my back tire while there after only 10,000 miles, unfortunately the only tire they had was a Pirelli. Longest day was 906 miles with 105 degree temps across Wyoming & Kansas. Can't say enough about how beautiful the Appalachian Mountains were, totally different than the Rockies were I live.

Glad you had fun out here in the Apps. Wish I had known you were this way could have meet up for riding the dragon. I usually make day trips out there only about 650+ round trip with riding the dragon, cherohala skyway, and some other good back road twisties.

I have to agree the Rockies and the Apps are completely different. I enjoy getting out west though and riding. I only make it out there every few years. I am heading back out next year 2012 heading back to Sturgis/Black hills. It is a fun trip and I try to take differnt routes to get more states under my belt.

Glad you had a safe trip here and back. Come back out east anytime and enjoy the nice younger mountain range and its great twistie roads. There are many great ones that aren't so advertised just off the beaten path. Less traffic and more enjoyable.

Ride Safe ~Rubber down, paint up~

Next time I make it back there I'll get in touch with you. My nephew lives in Raleigh and my sister near Pinehurst so I'm sure I'll do it again. My nephew rides a new ultra so it was fun to ride with him and he goes over to the Dragon all the time. We stayed at the Two Wheel Inn, they have little garages between each motel room for your trailer or bike and about a 4 foot overhang so you can park your bike under the overhang as well. Really nice set up for bikers. Not a 5 star hotel but clean and only 20 minutes from Deals Gap, would recommend to anyone traveling the area. They even had a laundry room. My nephew may be riding out here to go to Sturgis next year, keep in touch perhaps the two of you can hook up to ride out together. The pic is of the front of the Two Wheel Inn and the other my nephew with the bikes.

Digger,

Did you buy any of the commercial shots of you in the turns etc. If so, post for the rest of us to see. You didn't drag the trailer through there did you? Glad you enjoyed the trip and returned home safe.

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Not sure about Hellbender, it doesn't sound familiar, but my nephew new all the roads and I just followed him. I know we went into Tennessee and northern Georgia. Fontana Dam does sound familiar, we did stop at "fugitive dam" and a waterfall