IGNORED

New HD ultra in my garage.

ken

Last Tuesday I picked up my 2008 Ultra Peace Officer Addition. Because of the wonderful weather in northwest Ohio I have only been able to put two miles on it so far. Not nearly enough to post a comparision on the 05 RSV that I had. So here is what I think so far.

I do like having all the gages in the dash tach, oil pressure, amp, this is a big plus over the RSV. The HD sits lower in the seat, but it felt harder the move around in the garage?? To remove the side bags for cleaning you simply turn two locks inside the bags and presdo they lift right off (that cool) I notice much more vibration at the grips then I expected, but it seemed to smooth out once under way. The security system is pretty cool too, the bike arms itself once you walk away with the key. I'll be sure to post more once the snow and ice lets up and I can get out and ride. I'll try to post some pick if I can figure it out.

Oh ya my insurance was over $100 cheaper for 12 months!

Guest tx2sturgis

Do a search for 'turning to the dark side' and read my post about the subjective differences between an Ultra and a Venture.

You will love having a Harley...no doubt about it. Hope you actually get to ride it soon! You will love it even more if you at least do the Stage 1...pipes, air cleaner, ECM reflash (also called the Harley Tax!). The bike will run MUCH better.

Be aware that the cam shoe tensioners are considered a 'wear item' and you may be replacing them at around 30 to 60 thousand miles. Keep high pressure washers away from the swingarm pivot and wheel bearing areas, and yeah, those little saddlebag holders are called Dzus fasteners....cool huh? And pushing an FL around in your garage is a bit harder because of the belt drive. Pushing it backwards causes the belt to drag more on the sides of the pulleys.

The Ultra's have a robust charging system, decent fuel mileage, great sounding stereo, and the best weather protection on a bike, in my humble opinion, altho they will cook you in the summer!

If you have any questions, I will sure try to help....ENJOY!

Congrats Bro - those Ultras are a gorgeous piece of motorcycling history for sure!! If I could afford one I would be right beside you,, welllllll,, maybe not,,, I think I would opt for an old Duo GLide myself but hey, doesnt make any difference cause ol 'Puc aint got the xtra 28k around anyway... Now after the daughter gets done with Med School,, hmmmmm,, maybe...

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE - you are at the most dangerous time of any new bike owner!!! As hard as it is DONT give in to riding it in the snow - these great big heavy two wheelers dont even flinch before your on your face!!!

Congrats Bro - those Ultras are a gorgeous piece of motorcycling history for sure!! If I could afford one I would be right beside you,, welllllll,, maybe not,,, I think I would opt for an old Duo GLide myself but hey, doesnt make any difference cause ol 'Puc aint got the xtra 28k around anyway... Now after the daughter gets done with Med School,, hmmmmm,, maybe...

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE - you are at the most dangerous time of any new bike owner!!! As hard as it is DONT give in to riding it in the snow - these great big heavy two wheelers dont even flinch before your on your face!!!

28k!!! no way, I picked it up for $18,800 which is just a little over the MSRP of a new RSV

Yea I know Ken but the old hog I have my eye on is a mint Duo Glide and the old guy that owns it wont take a dime less then 28 for it....

Its actually pretty amazing how new bike prices have gotten more reasonable, few years ago I bought a brand new left over Wide Glide from a shop in Indiana.. It was Concord Purple and they couldnt sell it.. I bought it wholesale and Ebayed it for 4k over MSRP.. Guy that bought it from me said he would have had to wait a year and half to get that specific color!!! Now its all changed and you can get some REALLY good deals if you want to shop a little... Which it sounds like you did..

By the way,, how much snow you guys got down there?? I am up on the lake shore in West Michigan and we have about 6 inches on the ground.. Keep that new Harley on ice (pun intended) till the weather warms up and then ride the rubber of er bro!!!

Oh yea,, not sure what your dealer told you about riding in cooler weather but on my old Shovel I dropped to straight 30w below 45 degrees and it worked awesome.. YOu probably are on top of that but just a reminder to check with your dealer/owners manual...

Guest dakotasport
Last Tuesday I picked up my 2008 Ultra Peace Officer Addition. Because of the wonderful weather in northwest Ohio I have only been able to put two miles on it so far. Not nearly enough to post a comparision on the 05 RSV that I had. So here is what I think so far.

I do like having all the gages in the dash tach, oil pressure, amp, this is a big plus over the RSV. The HD sits lower in the seat, but it felt harder the move around in the garage?? To remove the side bags for cleaning you simply turn two locks inside the bags and presdo they lift right off (that cool) I notice much more vibration at the grips then I expected, but it seemed to smooth out once under way. The security system is pretty cool too, the bike arms itself once you walk away with the key. I'll be sure to post more once the snow and ice lets up and I can get out and ride. I'll try to post some pick if I can figure it out.

Oh ya my insurance was over $100 cheaper for 12 months!

Glad to hear you got it, I jus pick my 08 street glide up saturday and love it,enjoy........

Guest tx2sturgis

I also wanted to offer my services as a break-in rider...

You can ship that new 08 Ultra to me, and I will break it in for you...altho it is cold and icy around here lately, when it warms up later this week, I could be riding that new bike all over the place for you!

I can keep it as long as needed, say, 5 years? Heck, you wont have to worry about gas, or oil, or tires...And you'll get it back in fine shape...all broken in and fully tested!

Just let me know, hey what are friends for?

:whistling:

I also wanted to offer my services as a break-in rider...

You can ship that new 08 Ultra to me, and I will break it in for you...altho it is cold and icy around here lately, when it warms up later this week, I could be riding that new bike all over the place for you!

I can keep it as long as needed, say, 5 years? Heck, you wont have to worry about gas, or oil, or tires...And you'll get it back in fine shape...all broken in and fully tested!

Just let me know, hey what are friends for?

I think I live closer, and I would pay the shipping to get it to my house!!!!!!!!!!!!:rotf:

Guest tx2sturgis
Those 08's are nice bikes. Did you have the cylinder shut off disabled? They vibrate alot when idling or slowwww speed if you have that activated. They then smooth out when both cylinders get going.

Cylinder shutoff? Huh? :no-no-no:

You may be confused, but there IS an automatic enrichener mode for the rear cylinder on the new FI systems, that helps cool the rear jug on really hot days...

They vibrate alot at slow speeds because of the primary imbalance of a 45 degree V-twin engine. On the FL's, the Twin Cam engine is mounted on 3 isolation mounts that allow it to rock and shake at low rpms, then as you roll out, the mounts absorb that vibration, and it smooths out. Anything above about 2000 RPM, and especially at highway speeds, is smooth as silk, unless you are hard on the throttle. No vibes make it thru the bars, seat or footboards at normal cruising speeds.

Guest tx2sturgis

This may be of some help: :rasberry:

http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Oil-Off-a-Driveway

:sign just kidding::buttkick::whistling::rotf::stirthepot:

Now I KNOW that one was bait...hey I'll bite!

My Ultra has just above 70,000 miles and NO leaks...ever!

Well...wait...it DID have a wet-sumping problem when it was new, but they fixed that after FOUR times in the shop....

ooops....time for me to shutup!!

Cylinder shutoff? Huh? :no-no-no:

You may be confused, but there IS an automatic enrichener mode for the rear cylinder on the new FI systems, that helps cool the rear jug on really hot days...

They vibrate alot at slow speeds because of the primary imbalance of a 45 degree V-twin engine. On the FL's, the Twin Cam engine is mounted on 3 isolation mounts that allow it to rock and shake at low rpms, then as you roll out, the mounts absorb that vibration, and it smooths out. Anything above about 2000 RPM, and especially at highway speeds, is smooth as silk, unless you are hard on the throttle. No vibes make it thru the bars, seat or footboards at normal cruising speeds.

??????heres some info on the subject http://www.birminghamhog.co.uk/images/HeatinsertREV.PDF its a flash program called EITMS to shut fuel down to rear cylinder.

I don't think I'm confused. 06 Harley's did not vibrate as much at idle as 08's do. Bike smooths out quickly once you give it throttle.

Guest tx2sturgis
??????heres some info on the subject http://www.birminghamhog.co.uk/images/HeatinsertREV.PDF its a flash program called EITMS to shut fuel down to rear cylinder.

I don't think I'm confused. 06 Harley's did not vibrate as much at idle as 08's do. Bike smooths out quickly once you give it throttle.

Now it appears "I'M" confused...I did not know about the option to shutoff the rear cylinder! I looked at the PDF you provided...and thats very interesting. Some time in the past, HD had done some rear cylinder enrichening, to try to manage the heat issue. I dont really know how successful it was.

Rear cylinder shutdown is something that HD has added recently...my bike sure doesnt do that! I wonder how they do that...everytime I have been around a Harley that is misfiring (for whatever reason) it just would not run well at all on one cylinder. My guess is the ECM is shutting off ignition to the back jug, and adjusting the timing and fuel flow to the front jug to compensate. I believe the newer bikes are using a Y-runner type throttle body, and with that, you cant really control fuel flow to one cylinder only. I could be wrong!

My Ultra is admitedly an older bike....2000 model, and it's the TC88.

I knew they were having troubles with heat and lean running on the new 96, and also detonation, on the newer bikes because of the very strict EPA regs. It goes back to what Ive said on here before...its called the 'Harley Tax'...the things you have to do to a new Harley to get it running like you want it to. The Motor Company makes a bike that is full of potential, but is strangled by the EPA regs...and they also make all the goodies to bring it up to that potential, but of course, you have to pay for that, and thats the 'Harley Tax'...depending on what you want to do, it can cost between $500 and $1000 to get the pipes, ECM reflash, and air cleaner that let the bike operate like you want it to....including running cooler and stronger, by richening the fuel mix, and of course, letting all that wonderful sound out!

Bottom line, I owe Jimbob an apology...you called it right, and I dropped the ball on that one!

Now it appears "I'M" confused...I did not know about the option to shutoff the rear cylinder! I looked at the PDF you provided...and thats very interesting. Some time in the past, HD had done some rear cylinder enrichening, to try to manage the heat issue. I dont really know how successful it was.

Rear cylinder shutdown is something that HD has added recently...my bike sure doesnt do that! I wonder how they do that...everytime I have been around a Harley that is misfiring (for whatever reason) it just would not run well at all on one cylinder. My guess is the ECM is shutting off ignition to the back jug, and adjusting the timing and fuel flow to the front jug to compensate. I believe the newer bikes are using a Y-runner type throttle body, and with that, you cant really control fuel flow to one cylinder only. I could be wrong!

My Ultra is admitedly an older bike....2000 model, and it's the TC88.

I knew they were having troubles with heat and lean running on the new 96, and also detonation, on the newer bikes because of the very strict EPA regs. It goes back to what Ive said on here before...its called the 'Harley Tax'...the things you have to do to a new Harley to get it running like you want it to. The Motor Company makes a bike that is full of potential, but is strangled by the EPA regs...and they also make all the goodies to bring it up to that potential, but of course, you have to pay for that, and thats the 'Harley Tax'...depending on what you want to do, it can cost between $500 and $1000 to get the pipes, ECM reflash, and air cleaner that let the bike operate like you want it to....including running cooler and stronger, by richening the fuel mix, and of course, letting all that wonderful sound out!

Bottom line, I owe Jimbob an apology...you called it right, and I dropped the ball on that one!

No biggie. Theres definitely more vibration at idle and low speed from new motor compared to the EVO but it smoothes out very nicely at speed. They also offer oil coolers which I would get with these big motors they get hot fast due to thier air cooling. Harley really has impressed me with their new motors (08) that is (07) programming was off. I forsee a day when they might have to go to the VRod type motor liquid cooling etc cause of the EPA they are just holding out for now. I really like their Road Glides but I love my 1st Gen to much but its in pieces now.