IGNORED

Who owns a jet ski?

jfoster

The wife has decided she wants a jet ski. I have know clue bout what size to get, are they like mc's where bigger is better. Fuel usage, how long you can ride. And maintenance. And used ones....how can you determine if it's been abused or can you abuse one other than running into a stump or dock. Thanks in advance...jc

Yes you can abuse them. You have to be pretty careful what you get when you're out there looking. Try not to go back to far in years parts can get really pricey. I can only tell ya about the yamaha waverunners because I work at a dealership, but they are better on gas mileage then the others. You can get all sorts of models this year Yamaha had I think 10 models. We only have one left at the shop, they were selling like hot cakes this year. There's also low supplies on them from most of the manufacturers not sure if this was due to the earthquake or the economy. If you don't know about them do lots of research before looking at any of them. You also have to take care of them like bikes when it comes to storage, not everyone does that either. Then you get gunked up carbs.

Good luck on whatever you get.

Margaret

The larger ones, 3 seater will give you a nicer ride in the chop, if you are in a bay or ocean or large lake you will get a nicer ride on a bigger Sea-doo. Salt water vs fresh water? If a salt water ski is well maintained it could be a good buy, but fresh water would be better if you are buying used. Check inside the bilge for oil and signs of rust, I always flushed mine with freshwater and fogged the motor in and out, if they suck crap up into the impeller and damage the fins its not good. If you can afford it I would buy new, just for the warranty, pretty much like a bike, bigger= smoother, smaller=faster quicker handling, :080402gudl_prv: Craig

I have a Sea Doo that is going on 10 years old and have had it since new. A 3 seater. We water ski and tube behind it. We all have an absolute blast with it.

The only thing I have had to do other than winterize it is buy batteries about every two to three years. I am now using a battery tender on it and into my 3rd year with this battery.

I would be apprehensive to buy a used one as they are a toy that are meant to be pushed to the limit. With saying that there are some really simple rules I was told to get a long life out of it. Don't gun it close to shore as it sucks up the water and what ever is on the bottom. If the motor is bogging down, get off the Sea Doo and reach under it and pull the weeds or debris from the water intake area. VERY IMPORTANT the machine must be turned off. Cover the machine to protect it from the sun.

If you are not sure you will like it or only see using it for a couple of years then a used one may suit you just fine. I knew I would be keeping mine so I bought new and still love it as much as the day I bought it. My top speed is 61 mph.

Good luck in your search and decision.

I have a Honda F12x about 9 years old turbo charged I ve seen 64 on the speedo dont know how accurate it is. I bought new its been perfect bullet proof. Absolutely wonderful machine. I take care of it but that doesnt mean I dont ride like I stole it. I dont ride it as much as i would like. I would look for one that doesnt sit in the water and in the sun all year. Those will tend to look like hell. Many watercraft sit hopefully the owner winterized it and fogged the cylinders. Watercraft tend to be pushed to their limits. Look for low hours. Many people buy them and dont use them. I also use that anti corrosion spray on the motor. My first battery lasted 7 yrs. I think you have to decide whether you will use it or not to justify it. I can ride about 4-5 hours beating on it 16 gallons. Look in engine compartment start it you can run it for about 15 seconds w/o water. If it looks like hell and sounds like hell dont buy it. Maintenance nothing except oil changes and winterizing fogging. Its been a great piece of machinery. 3 seater stable watercraft. Now only if my yamaha venture could be so reliable.

Edited by CrazyHorse

Guest scarylarry

I had a sea-doo and like everyone here said watch the older ones, they are a blast for about 3 hrs. then the fun leaves they can pull on you big time..

Like another poster stated RENT one for 1/2 day the major down slide to one is you are limited no cook outs or crusing at low speed and relaxing..

The happiest day was when I bought and sold it..

After you rent one then rent a pontoon with a grilled and stereo and you will see and around here pontoons can be bought easy for as much as a jetski..

Theres really no low speed cruising mine planes out about 19 mph. Your going to ride it theres no really sitting in one place relaxing. Not really made to sit. Choppy waters can make for an uncomfortable ride early morning is best when water is glass like. I find bigger lakes better like Lake of the Ozarks. If its calm. You can skip across many smaller lakes in a blink of an eye. I enjoy river running more calmer water if you can ride awhile without locks interfering. I enjoy the Mississippi. Something to think about. Do you really want one. I wouldnt say they are relaxing they are work to ride but I tend to ride hard. They beat you up. I would rent one more then once for at least 3 hours each time and think hard about it.

Edited by CrazyHorse