IGNORED

Fork Issues -- 1984 venture Royale 32000 miles.

I recently bought a pretty good shape '84 VR that was running fairly rough.. The Yamaha dealer got it running pretty darned good. Among other things, they also changed the fork seals due to oil weeping. When I got it home though, there was fork oil all over the place. The dealer said they had put three seals in that fork and had finally hoped it would hold. Obviously not. He said there must be someting in the fork pinching the seal and the fork will need to be replaced. Also said the forks are not available any more. Been looking on EBay, but not sure how trustworthy those forks are.

First, does this multi-failure with seals sound right to you guys? Secondly, anyone out there have an appropriate model, good condition fork that they would consider selling?

(Bummer that, on top of everything else, the new beakes are probably now needing replaced due to the fork oil...)

Thanks in advance for your input all...

Where does the fork oil seem to be coming from?

Oil on the chrome fork leg suggests a nick or ding on the fork leg where the seal slides.

Oil on the lower leg suggests damage where the fork seal fits into the lower leg.

Both of these leaks will need parts replaced.

I purchased assembled fork legs for my ZX11 Ninja on ebay, no probs.

:080402gudl_prv:

MKIIs are the 86 - 89 model forks? Those models compatible with my 84? What kind of kit, just the springs, etc, or whole forks?

Thx...

The MKII's are an upgrade and will fit. See if you can find complete triple tree assembly on Ebay. You will need to upgrade the calipers to MKII's or R1's, as well as the rotor on the front tire to MKII. You'll be amazed at the difference in the ride and braking. BTW the Anti-Dives are electronic on the MKII forks. With the Progressive's just leave them disconected. Skydoc_17 sells a block-off plate if you want to remove them totally. There are a lot of posts on this board concerning this mod. Do a search for R1 Calipers

It's not uncommon to get a nick in the tube that damages the old and then the new seal. These are very often just polished out and you are good to go. I've also heard of a few "after-market" seal replacements that leak almost as soon as they are rebuilt... Yamaha parts are a must here.

You'd think the mechanic might have checked for that after the 2nd set failed.:confused24:

That's what got me wondering,,,,, anybody would check for damage to the forks when they take them apart,,, so I would assume that they did,,,, that makes me think that they didn't put things together right, and maybe damaged the seal by sliding it over the indent for the keeper ring,,, happens easy enough.

That's what got me wondering,,,,, anybody would check for damage to the forks when they take them apart,,, so I would assume that they did,,,, that makes me think that they didn't put things together right, and maybe damaged the seal by sliding it over the indent for the keeper ring,,, happens easy enough.

Thinking I might want to take it for a second opinion?