Going to be a long post. I have an 08 RSTD and lost the rear brakes a week ago today. This is what I have done.

1: Bleed breaks traditional way

2: Replace Rear pads notice pistons were frozen on curb side.

3: Removed rear caliper cleaned and split caliper. Cleaned all cups and visual check of all o rings

4. Reinstall Caliper bleed brakes still no luck (Pistons are functioning now.)

5: Clear fluid from lines back bled brakes

This worked for a day and back to the pedal to the floor. Last night I drained all fluid and back bled again.

I have pedal until I push on it twice and then no pedal. I can pump it up only to loose the pressure at the next test in say 60 yards. I have no fluid leaks, hoses appear to be fine. If when I bleed the brakes leave it set overnight I have pressure in the line until I use the pedal. Seems to be failing under load. I have not rebuilt or replaced the master cylinder.

Stressing I have a 500 mile ride next Saturday and would like rear brakes.

Any suggestions other than take it to a stealer?

Thanks in advance

SJ

08 - warranty....

let the dealer fix it.

dealer is unlikely to cover this under warranty unless he did the origonal adjustment/bleeding, etc.

I'm not sure what to to think. Maybe a piece of crud in the brake lines or pistons. My (new to me) 2000 brake lines looked like they had never been purged and were full of crud, required several purges to clean them out.

Could still be air in the line. Being able to push the peddle down with no brakes makes me think thats at least part of the problem.

If you have a weak spot in the hose, the hose could be swelling enough to cause you to loose pedal.

You can test the hose by removing it from the caliper and connecting it to a pressure guage. If the pressure builds and holds, than the problem is with the caliper.

The shop should have the equipment to test the brake pressure.

I missed putting the collar on the rear wheel which in turn caused the disk to rub the caliper and took out the disk, caliper, bearings and seals. Stealer wants more than I can afford to fix it. Told the wife saving a buck is not worth it in this case.

Anyone have a wrecked 2007, 08, or 09 RSTD?

Looking for:

rear caliper for a 2008 RSTD

Rear Disk

:mytruck1:

It sound like you need a new rotor. Yamaha lists it (4NK-2582W-00-00) at $256, but you can find it for less from several on-line dealers. And I'm sure that EBC, Galfer, etc have replacement rotors?

Rick

I missed putting the collar on the rear wheel which in turn caused the disk to rub the caliper and took out the disk, caliper, bearings and seals. Stealer wants more than I can afford to fix it. Told the wife saving a buck is not worth it in this case.

Anyone have a wrecked 2007, 08, or 09 RSTD?

Looking for:

rear caliper for a 2008 RSTD

Rear Disk

:mytruck1: