IGNORED

Chatterbox help?

Mel

I am using two CBDNROHSB Chatterbox headsets, bought them last December, started using them this spring. We were getting a lot of external noise (wind, etc.) and I thought it was from the passenger microphone because I figured she was getting more wind buffeting than me. I finally got to the point that I turn off the intercom until we need to communicate, just too much noise. Well, I have discovered that it's my microphone creating all of the outside noise, not from the passenger.

The only way I can stop the noise is by using my left hand to cover the mike, squeeze my fingers together and really tighten my fist around the microphone. I compress the foam down to the point I can feel the microphone under the foam and then the noise stops. If I just cover the mike loosely it doesn't help.

I'm wondering if anyone else is using this particular headset kit (or another from Chatterbox) and what your experience with it has been.

Patience my man,,,, patience, good things take time!!!!

I had the same issue with my set of Chatterbox cheapies. So I upgraded to Edsets,,, same issue,,, so I called my sound techie,, they work with mics and speakers and amps all the time,, that's their job and he said I was stuck with it, that's the way mics are made. That's when I put my thinking cap on (didn't help a lot,,, found out a feller needs brains for one of them to work) and got to work.

I took the foam cover off of the mic, cut a thin piece of foam (firm but not hard, it needs to absorb sound) and a piece of hard plastic (I used a lid from a spray can and used the proper sized socket and a hammer to make a nice round piece) to cover each side of the mic and then cut a very small hole in the business side of the mic. I then taped this all with foil tape to be more reflective, stuffed the whole issue back into the foam sock and then tried it out. It works much better. The whole idea for me was to eliminate as much ambient sound as possible and receive only the sound I wanted into the system. I did both mics and am now a happy camper. I think I could have even made the hole smaller,,, even half the size.

In addition to this, you'll need to make sure that your mic is pointed directly to the sound source, in this case your mouth, and that the volume on the IC is turned down as low as possible,,, so start with nothing on the IC and then increase it to where it becomes usable, that's it!!!

Thanks. I'm waiting on a reply from Chatterbox concerning my problem, don't really expect much help. Makes me wonder what they mean by "Dynamic Noise Reduction".

I have given it some thought, and decided that if I don't get help from Chatterbox I would try something similar to what you've done. Simply add some kind of additional barricade to try to stop the wind/ambient noise from reaching the microphone, even if we have to speak louder to have our voice reach the microphone. Thought I might start with plastic from a sandwich bag or something similar, maybe with a rubber band holding it in place to start with, experimenting with heavier materials until I get it the way I want it.

If/when I get it solved I'll try to post it here. Thanks again. (Guess you don't arise as early as I do???):draming:

Thanks. I'm waiting on a reply from Chatterbox concerning my problem, don't really expect much help. Makes me wonder what they mean by "Dynamic Noise Reduction".

I have given it some thought, and decided that if I don't get help from Chatterbox I would try something similar to what you've done. Simply add some kind of additional barricade to try to stop the wind/ambient noise from reaching the microphone, even if we have to speak louder to have our voice reach the microphone. Thought I might start with plastic from a sandwich bag or something similar, maybe with a rubber band holding it in place to start with, experimenting with heavier materials until I get it the way I want it.

If/when I get it solved I'll try to post it here. Thanks again. (Guess you don't arise as early as I do???):draming:

I'm somewhat retired so I have to live up to that you know.

As far as materials are concerned, soft material will let sound through,, so not much good, hence the hard plastic on the outside, and the foam to absorb the vibration created by sound hitting the plastic. I hope that makes it somewhat clearer.

I have the chatterbox head sets and had the same problem. A company, I think it is Sierra Electronics, makes a wind sock that fits over the mic to stop the wind noise. I bought one for each mic about 5 years ago. I think they were about $5.00 a peice back then.

I have the chatterbox head sets and had the same problem. A company, I think it is Sierra Electronics, makes a wind sock that fits over the mic to stop the wind noise. I bought one for each mic about 5 years ago. I think they were about $5.00 a peice back then.

--- did it fix it??