IGNORED

replacing burned out trunk lights

The light bar on the trunk has a burned out turn signal and only one tail/running light that works. Last night I removed the three screws inside the trunk but the bar did not budge. If I recall correctly this light bar does require heating to release the glue to separate the lens from the base but before I break something, should the light bar come off the trunk easily with the screws removed or is it necessary to pop the lens off first?

The bar is primarily held onto the trunk with double-sided tape with the screws as backup.

The lenses are held in with "high temp" hot glue from the factory, you want to use your wife's blow drier (lower heat than a heat gun) and slowly heat a turn signal lens... I lay my hand nearby so I can gauge just how hot it's getting... with a slow and steady back and forth with the drier, the glue softens and you can pry it up slowly and carefully. This makes getting to an edge of the large red lens much more available for heating and lifting as you move the drier along.

Please remember that the entire housing is a SOFTER plastic than the lenses so too much heat will distort the frame.

It would be a DANDY time to change the T10 wedge incandescents to LEDs from superbrightleds.com... that will take future replacements basically out of your mind..

The bar is primarily held onto the trunk with double-sided tape with the screws as backup.

The lenses are held in with "high temp" hot glue from the factory, you want to use your wife's blow drier (lower heat than a heat gun) and slowly heat a turn signal lens... I lay my hand nearby so I can gauge just how hot it's getting... with a slow and steady back and forth with the drier, the glue softens and you can pry it up slowly and carefully. This makes getting to an edge of the large red lens much more available for heating and lifting as you move the drier along.

Please remember that the entire housing is a SOFTER plastic than the lenses so too much heat will distort the frame.

It would be a DANDY time to change the T10 wedge incandescents to LEDs from superbrightleds.com... that will take future replacements basically out of your mind..

What he said :)

I replaced my bulbs with LED panels. Four red panels and two amber. They were about $10 each and fitted in with no issues.

Looks great and it's bright.

So is there any reason to take the light bar off the trunk? Although I only wanted to replace the turn signal at this time I do like the idea of upgrading to LED's. Hopefully there will be enough time to do it before leaving for Cody.

After being very impressed with the thought and engineering that went into creating and building the fairing I am just appalled that Yamaha could supply an essential piece of equipment that was so difficult to maintain.

So is there any reason to take the light bar off the trunk? Although I only wanted to replace the turn signal at this time I do like the idea of upgrading to LED's. Hopefully there will be enough time to do it before leaving for Cody.

After being very impressed with the thought and engineering that went into creating and building the fairing I am just appalled that Yamaha could supply an essential piece of equipment that was so difficult to maintain.

Yamaha didn't supply it :)

It is a period accessory from Big Bike Parts, I think. They also still carry the lenses and they have stock, and are cheap.

Nope, you don't have to remove it from the trunk.

It is a period accessory from Big Bike Parts, I think. They also still carry the lenses and they have stock, and are cheap.

My faith is now restored in Yamaha.:thumbsup2: Of course, a light bar is such a very good idea that it should have been originally supplied by Yamaha. :buttkick:

Good, one less thing to remove and/or break off. :big-grin-emoticon:

you dont happen to have a parts number do you? mine broke a while ago as it released itself from the frame and fleww off down the highway somewhere. All I need is the lens . I currently have a reflector lens in there that didnt quiet fit but it worked for now.

David

Better get it figgered out now, so you can tel me how to set up some leds on mine when we are in Cody......

Brian

Here is all you need.

The prices I quoted were close, but not exact

Steven,

Thank you for your recent Big Bike Parts Inquiry. Yes we do have these in stock. If you would like to order them you can contact

me at 888-244-2453 ext 10.

Best Regards,

Michelle Einum

Customer Retail Representative

Big Bike Parts, Inc.

P: (715) 234-3336 ext. 10

F: (715) 234-6872

E: info@bigbikeparts.com

W: www.bigbikeparts.com

Follow us:

Hi,

I am trying to get hold of the following spare lenses for a Trunk Light Bar on a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale.

The parts I have listed are, I believe, some of yours and are as follows:

900100L center red $8.06

900100LL left amber $4.46

900100LR right amber $4.46

Could you let me know if you have stock, and how I might buy them.

Thanks

Better get it figgered out now, so you can tel me how to set up some leds on mine when we are in Cody......
I know it is a bummer but I expect the light bar will not be getting done before I leave for Cody. Got a new set of headlights coming which I hope to get installed before I leave though. The stock taillight and turn signals will have to be good enough. Besides, I'll be traveling with Sailor and SilvrT so they will be behind me and can act as my running and brake lights. I'll be sure to keep a steady pace so they don't get too far behind. :dancefool:

I was thinking someone had already done an led upgrade to their 1st gen venture light bar on the trunk. Here it is described and pics.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41588

Flynfool has already done this

hope this helps

david

While it is not light bar specific but rather LEDs for the whole bike. Here is the list of parts that were used:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showpost.php?p=600022&postcount=2

While the "high temp" hot glue is a bit tedious to work with, it comes off parts fairly easy, provides an excellent seal and goes back on firly easy, with any "extra" readily cleaned up. Silicone also seals well but it's tanacious grip is often not totally removeable, you would have to slice along the edge and then pry to free the inside lip, on that big red panel, you would probably be putting a lot of force on the lens. I'll stick with hot glue.

Although the yellow and red lenses are still available, the defraction sub-lens behind each yellow one is out of stock and another "hen's tooth !!

While the "high temp" hot glue is a bit tedious to work with, it comes off parts fairly easy, provides an excellent seal and goes back on firly easy, with any "extra" readily cleaned up. Silicone also seals well but it's tanacious grip is often not totally removeable, you would have to slice along the edge and then pry to free the inside lip, on that big red panel, you would probably be putting a lot of force on the lens. I'll stick with hot glue.

Although the yellow and red lenses are still available, the defraction sub-lens behind each yellow one is out of stock and another "hen's tooth !!

lol .... I mentioned silicone because that's how mine was fixed when I got it. I struggled a bit but it came apart with no damage. A sharp knife helped. I put it back with hot glue.

The diffraction screens must be newly out of stock, because I got two with my amber lenses a short time ago.

Yep, the heat guns come in medium and high temp and the adhesion increases with temp. And, of course, the "glue sticks" need to follow the gun temp.
Learn sumpin new every day. I have a glue gun but have hardly ever used it. How do you tell what temp glue it handles? Wattage or some other way?

Learn sumpin new every day. I have a glue gun but have hardly ever used it. How do you tell what temp glue it handles? Wattage or some other way?

When you get used to using it, you'll never put it down.

That stuff is useful :)

For the extra couple of bucks I just got the dual temp gun. and some of each temp glue sticks.

That way you have the right gun for every job.

I think I was still under $25 for the whole works.

Yes, a very handy tool.

I used the low temp glue on the high temp setting to put the lens back on my trunk reflector after adding in 168 LEDs.