IGNORED

Transmisson swap update............

DragonRider

Well I finally finished phase 1 of my tranny swap. A couple of weeks ago Jamie aka Wingman came over and helped me remove the engine from the frame, everything was already removed, all I had was the engine and frame. I really owe MasterGuns a big thank you for donating the 86 for the cause........THANKS GUNNY. After we got it up on the bench, we called it a day and today I finally got around to cracking the cases and looking inside the case. Everything looks really good to me but Im no expert but all the teeth look good and no wear showing. Next week I will move the 83 out to my shop and start disassembling it, That should take me a day or so, I need to be careful with it because it was just painted last year and dont want to mess that up. I was glad to have the 86 to go to school on, it will make it much easier to do the 83 when I get around to it. I did notice some changes to the 86 clutch that were made since 83. I was hoping to use the clutch plates on mine but may not be able to.

[ATTACH]58138[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58139[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58140[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58141[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]58142[/ATTACH]

Edited by DragonRider

Clutch plates and friction disc came be swapped out.

The 86 used a diaphram spring in the clutch. The 83 uses 6 helical springs. Pressure plate is different. My choice was to use the 86 style. It is easier to beef up the diagphram type spring than it is the helical spring style. If you do go to the 86 style you have to change the outer clutch case cover. It is about a 1/2" deeper to accommodate the 86 style clutch.

Unless the 86 is trashed, it would be a more powerful motor than he 83, 100 more CC's. Most every thing except pistons & rods can be interchanged. Carbs are a little different on 86, but I ran my 1300 all last summer on a set of 1200 carbs.

Gary

The clutch covers may not interchange. Check basket shape.

When you say the clutch cover, I am 100% sure outer cover will fit on MKII or MKI motors. That I have done. The MKII cover can be used on either motor. The MKI can only be used on the MKI motor due to the wider clutch stack up on the MKII.

The internals of the clutch have the same primary driven gear, or what I would call the 'Basket' part number.

The clutch boss and pressure plates are different.

The friction discs & steel plates are the same.

The interface part between the long clutch push rod and the pressure plate is different.

While you are into it, whichever path you choose, it would be a good idea to get rid of the half width friction disc, one of the full size extra plates can be used in place of it.

Reason I say go with the MKII style clutch is there are at least two options for increasing the clutch 'grab' with this system from stock. First is the PCW upgrade, Skydoc17 sells them in classifieds, in the Member Vendor section. Then if you need more, you can double up on the diaphragm spring plate, you are not going to slip with this option.

Gary

Gary

You have more experience here so I standard corrected. When I did my mk2 I wasn't as knowledgeable so just bought the full barnett cellar setup. No slipping but spent more than I needed to. Barnett is closer to mk1 setup with coil springs. For my RSV plan to go PCW this winter for 1/3 the cost.

Again $12 annual dues - money well spent.