IGNORED

how to change fork oil 83 venture

is there a step by step in here somewhere im missing? i was told i should change fork oil in my venture and wonder if its easy i can work on car ok but brand new to bikes and dont want to pull apart front end and get stuck with riding season just starting :322: thanks

is there a step by step in here somewhere im missing? i was told i should change fork oil in my venture and wonder if its easy i can work on car ok but brand new to bikes and dont want to pull apart front end and get stuck with riding season just starting :322: thanks

There is a very small screw on the rear side of the forks just above the axle. It's a 4mm- .75 size. Sometimes these don't want to come out easy. I just pulled mine and I had to take a dremel and cut a slot in it to get it out. And it had been out not that long ago. There is a fiber washer under screw, so don't loose it.

Attached is cut from 83-85 manual detailing procedure.

Make sure and bleed off air pressure as indicated in front forks before opening them up.

Gary

Dingy can this be done on a center stand as I dont have acess to a mc jack?

David

Dave,

Yes it can, put it on a 2X4 under the center stand, put a jack stand under the front of the engine with the rear tire touching the ground. Pull the front wheel off and you will have enough room to slide the forks out of the triple trees. I'm going to be doing this and fork seals in Bogalusa at Kbrans MD, I'll try to get some picks of the process.

Dingy can this be done on a center stand as I dont have acess to a mc jack?

David

It can be. What would need to be done is to support the front end so that when the fork caps are removed, the forks springs are not 'ejected' due to the weight on the front end.

Attached are a couple of pictures as bike is sitting right now. I pulled wheel and forks off bike like that. It is fairly stable. 2x6 is right at 14" long, this cleared front wheel from ground and allowed rear wheel to not contact. I have a 15" VMax rim on rear end, so you may need to shorten board slightly to keep 16" wheel from hitting. I used a jack under frame to raise front up. Center stand is supporting weight of bike. I think this is doable with pipes & radiator on, but may not be. 2 x 6 is on the removable frame cross brace. Pipes & radiator just haven't been put back on yet due to motor work. They do not have to be removed to work on forks.

Gary