IGNORED

carb/backfire

Got my new to me 2000 with 31k last fall and am needing to check valves and a carb sync (anyone in the area that may be able to help with the sync). Do you think these things could help with the little bit of popping I have on downshift. I also have been getting 32-35mpg no matter how i drive. I am one who likes speed but even when i have tried to drive easy 35mpg is all. Would there be more of a carb issue than the sync, etc.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Larry

Your problem is quite common - LOTS of discussion of this in many older threads.

Most common causes include dirty carbs, bad carb sync, vacuum leak, and exhaust leaks. I'd bet your carbs are both dity and out of sync, AND that you have a vacuum leak.

Goose

Mufflers generally will not affect this problem unless they are essentially straight pipes which allow free back flow of fresh air into the header.

Goose

good to know. I know they are not straight pipes. They appear to have something in them.

After reading some older posts i guess i will try to start with a carb synch and check the two rubber caps for leaks.

I had these same problems with my 2001. I found that my idle flow was actually a little lean...once I adjusted that the backfire went away. I too am still looking for a boost in mileage - getting about the same as you.:12101: