IGNORED

Any mk1 to mk2 fork and brake swap?

skydoc told me about changing my forks to next gen so i can add r1 calipers and bigger rotors. has anyone done this? i would like to see some pics and write up. right now , my forks bottom out, the air line is missing, and brakes are weak at best. i was considering just doing the whole "shabang".

Been there, done that, didn't get the shirt. Front brakes much better than the stock 83.s. I also swapped the rear set up for an MKII setup, but I am not real impressed with the rear unit. I changed the rear master to an MKII and that may have been a mistake when delinking. I have a VMax rear master I may try if I get around to it. Rear MKII is to big a dia. bore for the one rear caliper and doesn't produce enough PSI to grab good. VMax is smaller bore. If you do change rear setup there is a mod that must be done to rear brake mount arm.

Not much to it other than rebuilding forks, might as well put in a set of seals while they are laying on the bench. Couple of write ups in the tech forum. Bleeding the front brakes was a major PIA. Rear and clutch was easy.

Get a set of speed bleeders for the calipers.

I have seen it recommended that the wearing faces of the rotors be bead blasted to remove glazing. Easy to do if you are swapping them and have access to bead blaster.

You will need at least the lower fork tubes from an 86-93, both rotors and calipers from an 86-93 or if you are feeling lucky, a set from an R1 Yamaha. The lower tubes are different on the 86-87's (anti dive on front, 88-93 they are on the side.)

If you put progressive springs in, get rid of the anti-dives. They are basically useless on a good stock set of forks springs let alone progressives. Skydoc17 has block off plates to eliminate them and the current draw.

Might as well delink the brakes and put S.S. lines on. If you delink, the rear master is OK, but you will want to change the front master to a 5/8" bore.

I just posted a comparison chart on the caliper/master ratios below. Techy type stuff, but enlightening.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60986

If you are into red, I would sell my MKII front calipers. Good pads & rebuilt last spring. Powder coated bright red. I have a set of R1's that are going on. Also anti dives are available, they are powder coated black.

Gary

Edited by dingy

skydoc told me about changing my forks to next gen so i can add r1 calipers and bigger rotors. has anyone done this? i would like to see some pics and write up. right now , my forks bottom out, the air line is missing, and brakes are weak at best. i was considering just doing the whole "shabang".

I have. Put MKII forks on the '83 with R1 calipers. Left the AD's on and buried the wiring, and moved the Progressives over from the old forks. You also need to use the MKII rotors. Bought all the parts off Ebay over a period of time. Total outlay was a little over $125 for the front fork/triple tree assembly, R1's, and Rotors. Vast improvement over the OEM 2 piston calipers. :thumbsup2:

thanks. what about the air in the forks? the line that comes up thru the ignition cover is missing. will i need with progressive springs. i also want to remove the class system. with the progressive rear spring do this? i want to lighten the bike up for some performance gains. really not going to be going 2up.

I just did the progressive spring swap today, man what an inprovement, getting ready to do the caliper swap next to the r/1 and delink the brakes. i have two sets of mk11 forks if anyone is interested, 50 bucks a set plus shiping. They will need to be rebuilt.