IGNORED

intermittent brake fluid warning light

Hey all - Got an '83 Venture Royale that has started intermittently displaying the low brake fluid level warning light... usually it pops on during acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gears. Checked the fluid levels and they seem fine. no drips, leaks or missing fluid at all.

BTW ... brakes are working just fine as well.

Anyone have any suggestions or ran into this before?

Thanks in advance :)

J

I eliminated the floats from both master cylinders (reservoirs, actually) and jumpered the wires together for both front and rear- I got sick of seeing the (false) warning. I can clearly see the front m/c fluid level, and with no leaks on the rear I know there's plenty in the reservoir back there (delinked system). I did find a weak spot in the rear circuit- there's a bullet connector about 18" or so away from the rear reservoir on the right side of the frame, nearly abeam the gas filler neck. That connector was somewhat dull so I took and cleaned it up some, and it wasn't as tight as it should have been so I pinched it shut some, but still had the warning after that, so I wirenutted the dang leads together and haven't seen the warning light since.

Edited by Keemez

Here's a shot of the rear reservoir (which is where the float & wiring is..... the master cyl itself is below). Be sure the engine is cool if you're gonna go fiddling around in there.... the rear header is in close proximity.

Here's a shot of the rear reservoir (which is where the float & wiring is..... the master cyl itself is below). Be sure the engine is cool if you're gonna go fiddling around in there.... the rear header is in close proximity.

Keem,

What kind of hose did you use from the rear reservoir to the master?

Anything special?

Gary

Keem,

What kind of hose did you use from the rear reservoir to the master?

Anything special?

Gary

Not to my knowledge- just plain old clear reinforced PVC. I don't know for certain how well it will hold up to brake fluid over time- I'll have to keep an eye on it. That stuff is stiff as can be, by the way. There's no way it's going to come off the upper fitting (which is why you don't see a clamp over it). I wanted some clear like Skydoc did so that I could keep an eye on the color/condition of the fluid. Foolish of Yammy not to put a siteglass in that reservoir- the boss is already there for it!

Thanks ALL -

I appreciate the info and help ... I pulled the side cover off and looked at the rear reservoir and saw ... OMG WTF!!!??? (see pics below) ... apparently the previous owner didn't find this an important thing to mention before the 150 mile ride home when I bought it!?!?

He attempted to "fix" the broken res (i'm assuming he broke it by trying to loosen the fill cap) with rubber epoxy and a hose clamp.

Anyway, good thing i just picked up an almost complete parts bike the other day - pulled the res off that one and replaced... so far - no more light. Going on The Patriot Ride tomorrow and feel a LOT better about the issue now.

Took me 30 minutes to pull both reservoirs and replace the damaged with the good. Kinda proud of myself never having done that specifically before lol.

Thanks again everyone - this alone was worth the $12 membership fee :)

• 1 month later...
i think i have it narrowed down to the rear mc. i can jump the wires and the warning light will go away but the flashing red light stays on.

If the warning light stays on with no icons (7 of them) lit that indicates low fuel condition, no bars on right side of CMU. If bike has full tank, then sendor needs adjusted.

Gary

If the warning light stays on with no icons (7 of them) lit that indicates low fuel condition, no bars on right side of CMU. If bike has full tank, then sendor needs adjusted.

Gary

the side stand was still down..thats why the red light was still flashing. its all in the rear mc...will get into that in the next day or two. thanks for the help guys