Newbie here...

I just bought an '07 RSTD and LOVE it!!!! In the past i have had a couple of Shadows and, most recently a Vulcan Classic. All were great bikes but vibrated too much for the Mrs to ride with me (arthritis in the hips). I bought the RSTD as i had heard that the vibration was minimal with the V4. Personally, I don't feel much but she still does.

I've been reading here about the carb sync and I'm planning to do that but I'm wondering if the pipes have anything to do with it. It came with BUBs. Would stock pipes be smoother (albeit, quieter)?

Thanks for any help and, sorry for the rambling!!!

Welcome. They would be quieter but that should be it. The carb sync if its out, will help with the vibration. When I bought my 09 rstd I could feel the vibration on the grips and floorboards. After syncing it was smoooooth.

I am running Road King mufflers that are drilled out. I also tried a set of Khromewerks that were used and a bit "burned out". I've swapped back to my stock pipes a couple of times and I swear the bike seemed smoother. Even yesterday, with the RK's, I was noticing what seemed like vibration but I've sync'd my carbs a few times and they are bang on so I dunno if it's just imagination or that there actually is more vibration. More of a "buzzing" kind of vibration as opposed to a "thumping" as you'd get with a V-twin.

welcome. How many miles on the bike? The tires might be a contributing factor. What tires do you have (likely Bridgestones) and how many miles on them? and are they inflated per sidewall spec? The Bridgestones are noisy. And if the tires have become cupped, then you can have vibration from that.

Good point...thanks.

It's got 49,000 miles on it. I'll check the tires tonight to confirm (since I'm not home right now). They were already on my list of things to change eventually but, if they can be the culprit, that'll move them up the list.