IGNORED

Wave,don't wave, who's the snob???

Mel

Yep, another "wave" thread. I've been riding since the only choices were Harley Davidson, Indian, Cushman, or Schwinn. Didn't always own one all that time, but have had one or more for around 50 years now. Street, off road, quads, three wheelers, dirt bikes, drag racing (1/4 mile street modified 119 mph, 11.7 secs. back in the early 70's).

I have ridden lots of different brand names, most of the years the major ride was Yamaha. Harley in middle 60's, but also BMW in the 60's and again in the 70's. GL 1000 early Gold Wing, '79 XS1100 got traded for a '84 Venture Royale new off the show room floor rode it until 2004, just to name a few. Never knew I was obligated to wave.

SO WHAT? most of you are asking. Some of you have more experience than I, some a lot less. Let me tell you, folks, it's about the riding that pleases you, not what seems to be proper in someone else's eyes. Why do some of you think it's an obligation to wave? We all enjoy riding, and for a wide variety of reasons. Some are strictly in town cruisers, some canyon carvers, some cross country high mileage fanatics. Do I have to wave because you think it's a sign of comraderie? I don't see Dodge Charger drivers waving, or Mustang drivers. I'm sure some of them do, but it's not an obligation.

If you are feeling friendly and aren't too busy driving, and want to wave, for cryin' out loud, wave! But there may be times when it is not easy or convenient to wave, so don't! I just don't think anyone should be judged innocent or guilty of proper motorcycle protocol by the act of waving or not waving. It's about the journey.

How's this for wasting time on Sunday morning?:2cents::2cents: (I doubled up because this looks like about 4 cents worth)

I agree totally!

Generally I will wave but you know, there's times when it isn't convenient (or safe), there's times when I'm busy looking at other things (like the traffic), there's times when I'm talking to Nina, and there's times when I just don't feel like waving. Now, if those other riders that passed me and waved get PO'd because I didn't wave.... that's their problem!

The reason the 'Wave' tradition started in the first place was back in the day it wasn't all that common to pass another rider while out and about, so you acknowledged one another. Now-a-days if you wave at every bike you'll get waver's elbow..... :)

:cody

The reason the 'Wave' tradition started in the first place was back in the day it wasn't all that common to pass another rider while out and about, so you acknowledged one another. Now-a-days if you wave at every bike you'll get waver's elbow..... :)

Correction... " I " won't get waver's elbow, Nina will coz she waves at everybody and everything LOL!!

I do agree it's a bit silly to get all worked up because someone doesn't return a wave, but I would hate to see it dwindle away just because there's more bikes out there nowadays or whatever reason.

I remember when I started riding in the 70's, it was that camraderie, and the wave, that was a big part that lured me in. I always loved that ad from Honda that said "You meet the nicest people on a Honda (motorcycle)". The ad included a couple on the highway, and yes, they were waving at a passing biker.

When I drove a Jeep a few years back, there were some other Jeep drivers that would wave as you passed, mostly out in rural areas. Now the Jeep is so common, I doubt there's that camraderie with them anymore.

All three of my kids loved doing the waving from the back seat as they rode along with me, and now my son rides his own and he loves the waving stuff.

I've been riding my little Honda 250 dual purpose around town more lately, and it's funny the difference on who waves or waves back depending on what you're riding. I must say, it maybe used to be the Harleys that were more "snobbish" about it (and I mean years ago), but nowadays I don't think it's as much the bike model as it is the rider. The only time I feel kind of silly is when I've waved and then see it's a motor cop. But even they will normally wave back though.

Anyhow, I'll keep waving at fellow (or sister) riders at least most of the time, but I won't take any offense if they don't wave back.

Correction... " I " won't get waver's elbow, Nina will coz she waves at everybody and everything LOL!!

Yeah I've seen Nina's wave.... 'bout a million times. Around here they call it the 'Campball Wave'... :whistling::rotf:

I usually dont bother. Sometimes I do most of the time don't. Maybe if its one person but if I start seeing a bunch of bikes during the day I dont. Its not being snobish. I dont know these people. I'm not stopping to talk to them. I'll never see them again. I dont stand on a street corner waving at every car that goes by or when I'm sitting in the car at stoplight. So why with bikes?

OMG.... I have been doing it all wrong..Ive been throwing kisses and just thought they were :confused24::doh::15_8_211[1]:turning around and wanted to race ...I better correct my style. I AM a work in progress but one day I will get it!

Here's a link I found a while back that explains the whole wave / don't wave thing... I'm not sure when all this started but it seems to me, back in the day I never saw the epidemic like I do now. It's especially rampant here in CO, I wear my arm out on mountain rides on the weekends when all the pampered riders emerge from their dens to embrace the sunshine! hehehe

Anyway... for your pleasure, here's the skinny...

http://www.viewfromthecloud.com/2006/08/secret-motorcycle-hand-greetings.html

Ya'll keep safe out there!

The Samurai

:detective:

I don't wave at anyone no matter what they're ridin; I dislike everyone equally. Besides this whole "wavy" thing is about a silly as it can get. Besides if you need affirmation that you're ridin a bike, take a pic and tape to your dash.

I don't wave at anyone no matter what they're ridin; I dislike everyone equally. Besides this whole "wavy" thing is about a silly as it can get. Besides if you need affirmation that you're ridin a bike, take a pic and tape to your dash.

RIGHT ON DUDE !!! you DA MAN !!

:stickpoke: :thumbsup2: :rotf:

SO WHAT? most of you are asking. Do I have to wave because you think it's a sign of comraderie? I don't see Dodge Charger drivers waving, or Mustang drivers. I'm sure some of them do, but it's not an obligation.

I drive a Caravan so I used to wave at other Dodge Caravan's and no one ever waved back. Maybe there are just too many? :confused24: :rotf:

What I do now is just ride and wave at those who will wave at me first; if it is convenient.