IGNORED

Progressive Front Springs air pressure..

Anyone out there riding with these springs in the front, what air pressure are you running in the forks if any at all.. I was told that you needn't have to have air pressure as the springs were heavy duty enough to negate the need for air pressure.

Not sure if I actually need to add air to my front end but ya never know.. ?

I'm on a 1st gen but have played with this a lot. I run mine with zero pressure on the stand which shows about 3 lbs when on the ground. That works fine for me with 10wt oil in the forks. No bottoming out at all an only minimal dive under had braking. (no anti-dives, used Earls block offs)

I have used the Progressive directions for the oil level at 5.5 inches from the top and had some issues when the pressure got knocked up to 21 lbs by accident. I had to redo the seals and dropped the oil level down to 6.5 inches from the top and no pressure on the forks. That was a smoother ride and works fine. I'm going to try the 20 wt oil at the 6.5 level and see how the forks respond with that set up.

I'm a big guy at 280 lbs so I want to run zero pressure for a smooth ride and be able to tighten them up with a few lbs for better action in the twisties.

My :2cents:

I took the bike out today for the twisties and highway run and pumped the forks up to 4 or 5 lbs (hard to tell on that stupid gauge.. but less than the 7 lbs max)

And WHAT a difference THAT made.. wow.. the parking lot riding is sweeter, no heaviness in the steering, no wobbling.. Less nose diving with heavy front braking.. highway speed tight curves are carving well again, and the twisties are fun again.. wow..

And I ran this bike with 0 air pressure most of last summer with no issues. But after hitting that big ramp jump of a hole on the I95, it did something to the front and rear shock of the bike that required re-adjusting everything over again.. The ride is a lot stiffer than before but tighter and smoother..

Anyone know where you can get an air pump that reads less than 30 or 60 lbs? The one I have reads to 60 lbs and you can almost get some accuracy below 10 lbs.. I remember seeing such a pump that only went up to 10 lbs by the same manufacturer but they don't seem to make them anymore.. or do they, I've never been able to find out..

Thanks for the assist and advice.. the bike rides NICE again..