IGNORED

Hotel / Motel ETIQUETTE???

bryan52577

Now I have done this before and have never had an issue. But I got to know, am I doing it wrong?

First I stayed at the Frontier Motel in Marquette, Iowa and asked the manager if I could hold a block of 8 rooms for a while cause I was having a ride. He told me YES he would hold them, I asked how long "HE SAID TILL 5-14-11" (Ride was on 5-21-11). I said that would be fine what ever did not get called on he would then "sell / rent" .

On the 21st two couples call motel from the M&E and ask for rooms "Manager" ask if they were with me, couples ask my name and say YES we are with Bryan. Manager say that is the last two rooms he has.

We get to motel and "Manager" is pissed that I did not call to cancel extra rooms??? (To my understanding he was to rent them after the 14th so why would I call? If that was not enough earlier call from other couples said that WAS LAST TWO ROOMS? SO again, why call?")

And he didn't even give the two couples any of "my" rooms even when HE asked and they said YES they are with me!

Anyway after we all headed home Sunday I get a call from "Shazam" debit card corporation saying there are "MANY" charges from said motel starting at $390.00 and going down $20.00 after each charge is denied. I am asked if these charges are real to which I say NO! I only owe for ONE room at $73.50. (Which I fully intend to pay, I did stay there and I am NOT trying to get out of my dept.)

Monday I go to my bank and tell them the whole story they check it out and I now have a total of 14 charges from said motel. (I only put so much money in this account so I don't get burned, to bad.) My bank is cool with it and says HE is wrong but they want to cancel my card and issue a new one. NO CHARGE, which I did not argue with.

My question is did I do something wrong? Any other time I have done this if I was told they would hold to a specific date then after that date rooms were gone and I did not have to call. Is that how it is suppose to work?

Just thought there maybe a motel / hotel owner here that could tell me proper way I should have handled it??

Thank you ,

Bryan

Edited by bryan52577

OH and the manager also called at least one of the other couples and asked for my phone #, says it is always busy. :confused24: I wrote my cell number very plain and have not had a single call received or missed from him.

Guess I don't understand what I did wrong? Never had issues anywhere else???

Bryan

In my opinion, based upon what you have posted, you did absolutely NOTHING wrong and it sounds like you are dealing with a complete idiot.

THANK YOU Don!

I didn't think I did but wanted to see if any of your members were "Motel / Hotel" owners that may have a different view.?:confused24:

Bryan

Is this a chain hotel/motel? If so you can go over his head and complain to the head office. I find that works very well, and usually get you either a refund or future discounts. If it is not a chain he still has a boss. Find out who the boss/owner is and complain to him.

Is this a chain hotel/motel? If so you can go over his head and complain to the head office. I find that works very well, and usually get you either a refund or future discounts. If it is not a chain he still has a boss. Find out who the boss/owner is and complain to him.

No not a chain, and with the first time I talked with him it sounds to me like he pretty much "inherited" it and he IS the owner.

I think he screwed up and just doesn't have the balls to see he did and wants someone else to pay for HIS screw-up. :2cents:

I just know I will NOT stay there again.

Bryan

So, Bryan, when is that big group ride to the Frontier????

Later, Scooter Bob

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Thanks Scooter but, Sorry somethings are better left to least anount of witnesess as possible. :whistling:

But I am curious how others handle blocking rooms? Do you call even when date has expired?

Or did I just get a %#*&% with no brains?

Bryan

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Thanks Scooter but, Sorry somethings are better left to least anount of witnesess as possible. :whistling:

But I am curious how others handle blocking rooms? Do you call even when date has expired?

Or did I just get a %#*&% with no brains?

Bryan

On the occasion that I have had to get a block of rooms, I did make every effort to keep the hotel informed as to what was happening, yes they were very appreciative of knowing.

While you are correct that based on the agreement you had no legal obligation to contact the hotel, courtesy is a 2 way street.

Especially in the case of a small privately owned place, a big chain can more easily absorb the loss of a couple of nights rent.

I have run national conventions for a car club I run for over a decade, and always confirm on PAPER that contract for any rooms. It is always with the written agreement that the rooms will be released without penalty after a certain date. Now I am dealing with 50-60 rooms and hotels want this always on paper, and I always check with them to see how it is going, and make sure the rooms are released on the agreed date. they also always say my people can get the same rate AFTER the release date IF rooms are available.

For smaller functions, and I have done a few of them, usually smaller hotels don't worry about contracts, and they say that they will release rooms after a certain date, if only a few rooms, many places will hold till 6pm or so the first night! but I always call to make sure the rooms are released.

In your case, I doubt if a call would have done it, seems like this is one of many poorly run hotels/motels that rip off people all the time. You had an agreement, but if not on paper (have them FAX a confirmation, I won't trust e-mails) it is your word against his. Your ace is that you have a bank that knows what this guy is doing.

I once had 60 rooms at French Lick in Indiana with the same agreement on paper that rooms would be released at a certain date, and that all rooms were paid for by the people staying there, and NOT paid by me, the organizer. I got there, checked in and later that day a couple of people thanked me for paying for their rooms! BIG ONE heart attack! I got my contract and went to the desk. Desk monkey said I agreed to pay for all the rooms, I showed her the contract and said NO way, she asked to see the contract and I said NO WAY, it stays in my possession. Then the person in charge of group sales arrived and settled things, saying I was right. Have to say it took a while to get my heart rate down!:headache:

like most i have had occassion to block rooms and treat it the same way as if i was traveling for business. emails of any details or requirements and costs. since the computer age i have had little problem defending issues the motels / hotels bring up. a few years back a motel charged my card for a couple of nights i had emailed and changed, they responded with an email the change was in time not to cause a charge. well the emails we brought to their attention and got the charge reversed.

email or paper always try to leave a trail.

I have run national conventions for a car club I run for over a decade, and always confirm on PAPER that contract for any rooms. It is always with the written agreement that the rooms will be released without penalty after a certain date. Now I am dealing with 50-60 rooms and hotels want this always on paper, and I always check with them to see how it is going, and make sure the rooms are released on the agreed date. they also always say my people can get the same rate AFTER the release date IF rooms are available.

For smaller functions, and I have done a few of them, usually smaller hotels don't worry about contracts, and they say that they will release rooms after a certain date, if only a few rooms, many places will hold till 6pm or so the first night! but I always call to make sure the rooms are released.

In your case, I doubt if a call would have done it, seems like this is one of many poorly run hotels/motels that rip off people all the time. You had an agreement, but if not on paper (have them FAX a confirmation, I won't trust e-mails) it is your word against his. Your ace is that you have a bank that knows what this guy is doing.

I once had 60 rooms at French Lick in Indiana with the same agreement on paper that rooms would be released at a certain date, and that all rooms were paid for by the people staying there, and NOT paid by me, the organizer. I got there, checked in and later that day a couple of people thanked me for paying for their rooms! BIG ONE heart attack! I got my contract and went to the desk. Desk monkey said I agreed to pay for all the rooms, I showed her the contract and said NO way, she asked to see the contract and I said NO WAY, it stays in my possession. Then the person in charge of group sales arrived and settled things, saying I was right. Have to say it took a while to get my heart rate down!:headache: