IGNORED

SeaFoam for storage

CaptainJoe

Been talkin to a mechanic friend of mine that owns a Stihl/Gravely/Snapper shop.

Customer came in and had to buy a new caberator. His had sat over the winter and you could see where the inside of his carb had been etched by corrosion. The float had this greenish black crud all over it and the carb in general was unsalvageable.

Although the carb was only $40, Ed said it could have been averted by following these easy rules:

Don't let your gas sit in anything for more than two weeks un-treated (stabel for ethanol).

When storing

1. Run machine completely out of fuel

3. Fill fuel line with Seafoam. You can buy a three pack of empty 6 oz. thin neck plastic bottles that you can fill, to squirt the seafoam in the fuel line.

4. Try to start (ensures seafoam has completely filled your fuel pump and carbs).

I also had to buy a carb for my garden tiller two years ago as the same thing hapened to it. I intend on using this "no gas" method in the futrure. Just wanted to pass it along for your consideration.

Edited by CaptainJoe

Thanks, I am a true believer in Sea Foam and also Stabil. These are fine products, I only pour in the tank and run for a bit, usually more than required or stated in instructions. So far no problems. I started my tiller just yesterday after sitting for two winters, no garden last yr, the flood took it. It started at the second pull and run like a top. However I did throw a belt and had to remove cover. I need new belts.

Seafoam is a good idea and works well, what I also have and still do is run the carb out of fuel. I do this on my '79 Electra Glide as when I 1st received the bike it had been setting for 15 years. My friend who owned it ran it out of gas before he put it up and when we tried to start it up, it was running within 3 times of hitting the starter. If you know your bike is going to be sitting for a prolonged period this can work well too

:2cents: