IGNORED

major computer problems

Snarley Bill

my at&t wifi modem crashed for the second time last week, so i ditched my at&t highspeed and phone service. went to sprint cellular for a home phone and picked up sprint mobile highspeed for the internet. i decided to get rid of my big computer, cuz it's getting old and takes up to much space. i'm on my acer note book now, and it works great. i'm shopping for a new laptop with a 15.6 screen and about 3 0r 4 g memory and 500g hard drive. where is a good place to find a good price and what brands should i look for?

I ditched my desktop computer years ago. We are all notebook here and I have a wireless router so we can use the DSL anywhere around the house on out on the deck or front porch. I love it.

I would look at Walmart and at Best Buy. Those are typically my "go to" places now days if I need a computer. I honestly think that if you stay with one of the name brands, you will be OK. We have three notebooks here and they are all Dell. I have been pretty content with the Dell computers but I would have no problem with Samsung, HP, Toshiba.....whatever.

Edited by Freebird

I ditched my desktop computer years ago. We are all notebook here and I have a wireless router so we can use the DSL anywhere around the house on out on the deck or front porch. I love it.

I would look at Walmart and at Best Buy. Those are typically my "go to" places now days if I need a computer. I honestly think that if you stay with one of the name brands, you will be OK. We have three notebooks here and they are all Dell. I have been pretty content with the Dell computers but I would have no problem with Samsung, HP, Toshiba.....whatever.

thanks don, walmart has some great online prices. they have some refurbished ones. should i stay away from them. i figure they are probably ones that people returned and they could'nt sell as new.

I honestly don't know. I've never bought a refurbished computer. If they are just returns and Walmart just sticks them back on the shelve, I would be a bit worried. They are probably OK but I would worry that somebody took it home, didn't know what they were doing and screwed up the registries or something. If they have actually been returned to the manufacture and checked out, I would be OK with it.

I would suggest staying away from refurbished. Even though they have been looked at by the service department of the manufacturer, they tend to still pose more of a problem than new. I bought refurbished "once". It was a problem system. Go with new, you'll be happier.

Thomas :63:

This is the laptop hubby and I bought (one each). We are very pleased with the quality of the laptops themselves. Not so happy however with Acer customer service. Our laptops didn't break, they have a second hard drive bay and we wanted to enable that on ours which meant getting a tray to hold the drive. Acer refused to sell it to us. Took over a month but we did finally find two available.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004G6007C]Amazon.com: Acer AS7552G-6436 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black): Computer & Accessories[/ame]

are all Dell. I have been pretty content with the Dell computers

All our systems at work are Dell and we've had very little problem with any of them. When we do, Dell is very quick to fix them when they're still under warranty. A few years back I did contract work for a major wood producing company with sawmills and pulp mills all over BC and Alberta and all of their systems were Dell. Same thing... very few problems.

Our oldest desktop PC's at work are coming up 5 years and still running strong.