after 3000 miles on my 01 rsv instead of getting use to it the chirping is driving me nuts. it's taking the fun out of riding. there is no way I could take a long trip with that noise. I've read about changing to the I basket just wondering what the success rate was before i spend the money. if the chirping doesn't go the bike will.

thanks

I had the basket changed in my bike. It did make a difference. The noise changed from my normal riding speed to a higher speed and was not as noticeable. I do not even hear it at all now. I would suggest you read a lot of the post here and see what others have said. I think it gets better as it gets broken in with some miles. I changed mine at around 4000 miles. There are three different baskets if my memory serves me right. This is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden. I also had my seat done here by Rick. He doesn't charge that much and I went from riding 50 miles and stretching to 80 - 100 miles. This is a very interesting site here and you will find everything you need here for the bike. These folks are very helpful.:backinmyday::2BLUE:

Fuzzy

after 3000 miles on my 01 rsv instead of getting use to it the chirping is driving me nuts. it's taking the fun out of riding. there is no way I could take a long trip with that noise. I've read about changing to the I basket just wondering what the success rate was before i spend the money. if the chirping doesn't go the bike will.

thanks

I may be in the minority here, but I truly believe that my whine and the little chirp diminished considerably when I did two things - - I switched to a good 20W50 synth oil, an equally good oil filter (I use Mobile1 for both), and added Motorkote oil additive every 3rd oil change. My bike's previous owner replaced the clutch a few years ago, but did not install an I-basket and I noticed the whine right away when I bought the bike. These oil and additive changes have made a very noticeable difference, almost to the point that I really don't notice it anymore at all.

My '06 was very loud going up thru the gears. After the I basket it substantially got quieter especially going up thru the gears and at constant speeds. It does whine when down shifting if you get the rpm's up, but tolerable. I felt the same as you and now it's not an issue. I also tried motorkote, in my opinion it's a waste of money.

On scale of 1 to 10 (10 being the worse) I'd say 9 before and 3 afterwards w/I basket.

If you really like the bike I would definitely spend the money on the I basket. Keep in mind some have gone thru several before finding one that didn't whine. After 10k miles on my only I basket I'm still content with it.

Edited by jfoster

[i also tried motorkote, in my opinion it's a waste of money.]

Same here ^! I also tried Rotella Synthetic 5-20 and I think it was worse.

I had the I-basket installed and it got about 40% better and I use Rotella 15-40 with the Purolator pro-one oil filter. The roadhouse slip ons takes care of the rest.

Pat:080402gudl_prv:

The whine on my bike was never a issue with me, but I use Motorkote in all of my bikes now. It has lessened the whine from the transmission and the top-end is quieter with it. I feel it is worth the expense.

Had the I basket installed in my 05 and it did tone it down by about 80% and put the whine into a different (higher) range while riding...I installed rk pipes and drilled out the end plates on them and I dont here a thing now....Seems the I basket works for some but not all....:fnd_(16):

I had I basket installed in my 06, it helped, maybe a 60% reduction in noise? When I first got my bike the whine drove me crazy, I was just like you, if I cant fix this the bike is going. A few guys on the site said dont worry about it, you get use to it:think: I really didnt care for that answer, just as I am sure you wont, but they were rite! After awhile you wont even notice that noise, I would give the basket a try tho.:080402gudl_prv: Craig

I've posted quite a bit about when I got my I-basket so I'm sure a search will find that info. Basically the whine was very annoying and just at an rpm that was where I would run at most of the time, especially in 2nd thru 4th. If I up-shifted, the revs were too low and vice versa. The I-basket reduced the whine quite a bit and it seems to occur at a bit lower rpm. Having said that, and now that I've had it in the bike a whole year, I'm noticing the whine getting a bit worse than when I first installed the I-basket. Not quite bothersome yet but almost. I am running drilled out RK mufflers and have intercom headset so I just turn up the tunes during those times when I start noticing the whine. Mostly it's noticeable around the city when I am in 2nd or 3rd but once I'm up to highway speed and into 4th or 5th I don't hear it so much.

Like some others have mentioned, I really like the RSV but if the whine gets worse to a point where it really bothers me, I will get rid of the bike. Hate to have to do that as it's almost paid for and I really can't afford to buy anything new so that will probably mean buying either another 1st gen or an older Wing or maybe just a cruiser. Been looking at some pre-2001 Wings and there's some really nice one's out there for sale for a reasonable price.