IGNORED

In his dreams

Black Owl

All fun aside, what do you think about a 15 year old bike with 4300 miles on it? Do such low miles beget better quality, or a bike rotting from the inside out?

I am of the camp that thinks machines need to be used to remain in good condition. What do you think?

Dave

All fun aside, what do you think about a 15 year old bike with 4300 miles on it? Do such low miles beget better quality, or a bike rotting from the inside out?

I am of the camp that thinks machines need to be used to remain in good condition. What do you think?

Dave

In my experience unused = unmaintained

I am also in the low miles older bike equalling unmaintained in one fashion. my father in law is a collector. he has 20 or 30 vintage 60, 70 and 80s bikes he bought and fixed up. most havent been ridden or been started in 20 years. sure, he dusts them :)

he has given me a couple over the years to use. things happen just sitting that one wouldn't think about. last one I got back to running and riding was a really nice 85 650 nighthawk with less tha800 miles on it. he bought off insurance it had been flipped. it was a nice bike when he finished with it, but. never used. surprises, went to change the fork oil and had lots of rust in the inside tops of forks because it had not been used. forks are sealed, bikes stored in humidity and temp ćontrolled building, but that doesn't do anything for sealed up areas.

several of the bikes have my name on them for when he departs and my wife has to deal with being the executor. I am not looking forward to dealing with the unclaimed bikes that are "museum quality".

take a well ridden bike anytime.

bob

marshall