IGNORED

2002 venture, dry rub sound in back suspension?

picked up my new to me 2002 last night. put about 150 miles on it getting it home and wife's car back.

when I have a passenger on back, with the extra weight I am hearing a very noticeable dry rub sound when the rear is bounced up and Down, at least when sitting still with engine off.

any ideas, am I in for a monetary surprise or are their some grease points that may be in need? bike has 28000 miles on it.

bob

you can try and grease the linkage that the shock is mounted too, that could be some of it, but better check for oil around your shock, it could be on the way out!! Most will start a grown sound before they crap out, but never know... let us know what you find.

picked up my new to me 2002 last night. put about 150 miles on it getting it home and wife's car back.

when I have a passenger on back, with the extra weight I am hearing a very noticeable dry rub sound when the rear is bounced up and Down, at least when sitting still with engine off.

any ideas, am I in for a monetary surprise or are their some grease points that may be in need? bike has 28000 miles on it.

bob

I have 2000 millenium and it croaks like that every spring after it's been sitting and is cold. I don't pay any attention to it. I've been told it's the swing arm bushing. It stops after riding it a few times during the summer. Turn the radio up a little bit, that's what I do. :big-grin-emoticon:

I have 2000 millenium and it croaks like that every spring after it's been sitting and is cold. I don't pay any attention to it. I've been told it's the swing arm bushing. It stops after riding it a few times during the summer. Turn the radio up a little bit, that's what I do. :big-grin-emoticon:

Don't you complain a little when you have to get out in the Spring??My remote and TV call to me..

Dan, I complain and moan and groan about any movement made anymore!

Sorry I won't get to touch base with you at MD. Had some things pop up that are unavoidable. Maybe next year.

Shoot me a pm when you get a chance and give me an update on that claim you and I discussed. Hope it's going well.

Ill check the tire but hopefullnnot that. dealer put a new rear on it Friday before I picked it up. pretty sure it is the suspension and probably bushings noise. found I can get it to squeak or whatever it is on side stand Nd standing on rear floorboard to get rear to cycle. same sound.

bob

Sounds like the rear shock to me. I don't think there is probably anything wrong with it and my 01 does that every once in a while for some reason.

BOO

:sign yeah that: '07 here does the same thing when it's cold.

My 06 does the same thing and I looked it up on the forum and read that it was caused by shock lubrication. It is not a bad thing and can be fixed by either replacing the shock or much more easily corrected by leaning the bike over almost on its side and allowing some of the shock fluid to lubricate the seals then standing it back upright. Several people chimed in that it worked, but I have not tried that yet.

I would of course recommend laying it down on something soft and having help to get it back up as we all know these beast are not exactly light.

Good Luck

Mongo