IGNORED

Trailer hitch recommendation

I have a Venture Dad hitch on my RSV and satisfied with it. Need some suggestions for a hitch to put on my soon to be 2008 wing.

Also some suggestion for hy-way pegs, keeping in mind I'm vertically challenged (29" inseam). Trying to keep costs down but quality up. :fingers-crossed-emo

The only sugestion I would have is to make sure the hitch installs to the main frame not just to the rear bag support. I built mine from 3/4" cold rolled round stock and an 1 1/4" square reciever tube. There are several out there that bolt up near the passenger floor boards and then the tounge wieght is supported by the bag mounts. I took my design from the one out there that the reciever stinger enters throught the fender where the reflector mounts. Requires cutting the fender out to match up but in my opinion it is better due to the "straight line pull" from the mount near the passenger floor bourd. I can also put the reflector on through the same hole. Never know there is a hitch on it when the stinger is out.

The vertical type hitchs end up dropping out from under the fender. To me that gives the opertunity for more slack and "clickity clack" on accelaration decelaration. and on rough roads. btw I built mine with a removable center section for rear tire changes on the center stand. Not my idea either a feature I borrowed from one I seen on the I-NET Hope this helps

:7_6_3[1]:

Well jer878, I would go with the Kury hitch for the 1800 since you don't really have a main frame, pulled a bunkhouse round 50000 miles, never an issue and mostly weighed in at round 500lbs. Vertically challanged eh http://cdn.content.sweetim.com/sim/cpie/emoticons/0002041D.gifinstead of Hyway pegs I would get floor boards instead much more comfy I have both but rarely use hyway pegs

http://content.sweetim.com/tbsig/sig.asp?img=ad1

I'll give a second vote for the Kuryakyn hitch. That's what I installed and while I haven't really towed with it yet it does look like it will do the job. I also looked at the Rivco but didn't like the idea of poking the drawbar through the fender. The Kury was fairly easy to install. The left crash bar clamp was a little tricky but not too bad.

Dennis

This is the one I have. I seem to see some comments that some members don't like them, but for the $ it works fine for me, pulling Harbor Freight TagAlong. See my pics.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/272_trailer_hitches_racks/2152_gl1800_honda_goldwing_vertical_trailer_hitch/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F272_goldwing_trailer_hitches_racks%2Fdes%2F

For highway pegs, take a look at my pix of my 2003. They work great for me, and my inseam is a tad less than 29". Should work great for you.

Are those "Kuryakyn GL1800 Gold Wing Ergo II Highway Pegs"? I have the LongHorns on my RSV and have been very satisfied.

I'm probably going to bug the heck out of you GW owners util I get this thing somewhat personalized.

• 1 month later...

OK got the hitch installed but looking for some ideas on how / where to mount the plug. I would appreciate any pics or ideas. On the RSV I had it zip tied to the HD light bracket. Right now I'm thing of using one (both) of the helmet locks I don't use.

Thanks,

Jim

Tom, what back rest is that? It looks comfy.

The backrest is a Utopia..VERY comfortable. The only thing I hated was cutting thru the seat but no one that has that backrest(and its the most poular choice) has had any issues with it.

OK got the hitch installed but looking for some ideas on how / where to mount the plug. I would appreciate any pics or ideas. On the RSV I had it zip tied to the HD light bracket. Right now I'm thing of using one (both) of the helmet locks I don't use.

Thanks,

Jim

Ive just got the 4 way flat plug and I let it hang just under the fender.

Thanks Tom, I did get the Utopia and am dreading the seat cut step. I picked up a fancy mini chrome receiver type plug today and am going to look for a way to use it. Saw on one of the Wing sites someone mounted it in the bottom of the trunk. I'll be cypherin' a mounting solution.

Thanks for the response,

Jim

this is how i wired mine and i used a 4 wire flat lead hooked to the side of the receiver where you see the wires beside the ball

the wires next to the ball are the wires coming from the bike to the converter before the converter was hooked up

Took an idea I saw on one of the GW sites. Purchased a Hopkins 4 pole plug and put it in the bottom trunk cover. A lot of work but it looks good is inconspicuous and should function just fine. I had a mental problem of the plug in the fender open to road debris and moisture.

Here's some pics.

Tomorrow I'm going to tackle the Utopia back rest. I very nervous about cutting the seat and the foam for the bar to slide through. I hope I don't pull one of these. :doh:

Wish me luck.

Jim