IGNORED

Strange noise, can't find cause

I posted this just after I got my 83 Venture royale last summer but couldn't remedy. Different year, same noise. If you saw the movie Dumb & Dumber, Jim carry's character asks," do you want to hear the most obnoxious sound ever?" Well mine is kind of like the sound he made. Like a prolonged chicken squawk. It starts at about 35 mph, it stops just as I come to a stop. It was really howling today (my second ride this year) so as I approached my house I pulled in the clutch and killed the motor. The noise again continued til I rolled to a stop. It is only one note no matter the engine speed or the ground speed. It does seem louder at times but that could be that the engine makes less noise at lower speed. I really like the bike except for this issue. I'm reluctant to spring for new tires and the starter clutch upgrade without knowing how serious this is. Thanks for any input. PS I can't imagine that the brakes could be the cause but tommorow I plan to pull the units off the wheel to make sure

Mine was the front wheel speedo drive assy. But the cable was dry also and it was making noise too. Mine wasnt speed dependent, but the lower the temps the louder it got.

Put your bike on the center stand and prop under the engine so the front tire is off the ground and spin it to test the theory that its your speedo.

Brian