IGNORED

Is this the last year for the venture

naturesway

Hey Bobby G,

Unless you are going to yamaha corp in Japan you're not going to get any info. You are right about the dealers. They don't know anything about the new models until yamaha introduces them. I've had more than one dealer tell me yamaha doesn't let anyone know about the new models until they are told. These dealers also complained that yamaha in Japan doesn't listen to the dealers and doesn't care about their feedback.

I deal with the business line folks in Cypress CA who are responsible for the budget process for north American sales to dealers. They already know what the sales budgets are for 2012 and through Q2 of 2013. I think they know by product line, by model, what dealers will be selling during those model years. Right now, there is a high level north American sales budget for a Venture model in 2012 and 2013. The specs on this model are not very clear, but I'm going to ask my contacts if they can elaborate.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I just got back from visiting my clients in the OC (Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha). Very productive and interesting. I promised to report what I learned, so here it is:

Kawi - - attained #1 MC marketshare in 2010 and Q1 2011 among the 4 Japanese OEM's, ended the year in the black, and lowered overall inventories by 30%. All good stuff for them. Their main focus is overall #1 in JD Power customer satisfaction survey by 2013, and more black ink, in addition to regaining some lost marketshare in ATV, ORV and side-by-side products.

Suzuki - - lost $$$ in 2010, but is well positioned to regain some lost sales with renewed product availability this year. It's going to take 3 to 5 years to get any real momentum back after a down 2010, but the focus on street bikes and the new GSXR 600 and 750 lines in particular may help them ramp up faster. Big discounts and dealer incentives will give them a clear price point advantage well into next year. No more inventory shortages either. They are down, but not out by a long shot.

Yamaha - - as I reported earlier, the next gen RSV will have a somewhat different frame to accommodate the fuel injected V-MAX engine, optional anti-lock brakes, side opening rear tour pak (ala the Ultra), no cassette player, restyled guages, and similar styling, seats, handlebars, etc. to try to keep the basic RSV styling. Intro will be Fall of 2012 as a 2013 model, limited availability until the Spring of 2013. MSRP will top $21K. They don't see a huge marketing push on this currently, as they, like the others, are more focused on their real money-makers, the street bike and crossovers, especially a bike to compete with the Kawi Consourse. Will know more details after their Fall dealer meeting in Las Vegas.

Bottom line, they are not abandoning the RSV.

I am visiting Yamaha corporate next week on business, and will get an answer for you. However, I have already been told that the "new" Venture will be a 2013 model that will come out sometime in 2012 in limited production, will be an EFI V-MAX engine, anti-lock brakes, upgraded electronics and digital displays, power port and smart phone/Ipad friendly, and NO CASSETTE PLAYER. Beyond that, I have not other specs, but I think it will be pretty pricey at retail - - probably in the Ultra Classic range.

Current MSRP for a2011 RSV in Canada is $23,899

I don't know what the MSRP for a Harley Electra Ultra is but dealers here have them listed at $25,000 and that's with ABS. The Limited with the 103 ci engine and chrome wheels is only $28,000.

Pricey?? If I was in the market for a new bike and those were my choices, I'd pay the extra $ and get current technology.

Current MSRP for a2011 RSV in Canada is $23,899

I don't know what the MSRP for a Harley Electra Ultra is but dealers here have them listed at $25,000 and that's with ABS. The Limited with the 103 ci engine and chrome wheels is only $28,000.

Pricey?? If I was in the market for a new bike and those were my choices, I'd pay the extra $ and get current technology.

The 2011 RSV at 3 area dealers here in the ATL is pricing out at just over $18K.

OK, I just got back from visiting my clients in the OC (Suzuki, Kawasaki and Yamaha). Very productive and interesting. I promised to report what I learned, so here it is:

Yamaha - - as I reported earlier, the next gen RSV will have a somewhat different frame to accommodate the fuel injected V-MAX engine, optional anti-lock brakes, side opening rear tour pak (ala the Ultra), no cassette player, restyled guages, and similar styling, seats, handlebars, etc. to try to keep the basic RSV styling. Intro will be Fall of 2012 as a 2013 model, limited availability until the Spring of 2013. MSRP will top $21K. They don't see a huge marketing push on this currently, as they, like the others, are more focused on their real money-makers, the street bike and crossovers, especially a bike to compete with the Kawi Consourse. Will know more details after their Fall dealer meeting in Las Vegas.

Bottom line, they are not abandoning the RSV.

Kool, in another 20 years when my 1st gen is getting tired I will finally be able to afford a EFI 2013 Yami. Ya think we will have all of the bugs figured out by then?