IGNORED

Apple i mac question

hipshot

My son, who works for Apple as an EXPERT/asst. manager, told me that my i mac will not allow ANY mal-ware or virus to affect my machine.

having made that statement, i am asking , "Is he correct"? if so, then would it be safe to down load bit torrents?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

just jt:confused24:

My son, who works for Apple as an EXPERT/asst. manager, told me that my i mac will not allow ANY mal-ware or virus to affect my machine.

having made that statement, i am asking , "Is he correct"? if so, then would it be safe to down load bit torrents?

any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

just jt:confused24:

No. He is completely incorrect.

Historically, Apple Computers did not suffer virus and malware issues because there were too few of them around for the bad guys to bother.

But they are as vulnerable as any other computer, whatever Apple Reps would have us believe.

I'll offer my expert/layman/guessing opinion.

He is both right and wrong.

At present most (if not all) malware/viruses are directed/programmed for PC's. To say that Imacs are not vulnerable is inaccurate in my opinion. Most government computers, NASA, Military, Secret Service use PC's. Most BUSINESSES use PC's...and to be honest most HOME CONSUMER'S use PC's.

So the hackers usually want to the most damage to users that use PC's.

Imacs are more popular with graphic artists, photographers, and writers.

Could a malicious program be written for an Imac...my guess is YES. But the impact would be very small compared to the number of users that own PC's.

as already stated - most damaging information that is designed to wreak havoc in computers is designed for PC's

Now, having said that - any program with a virus/malware imbedded will effect a mac as long as your mac will open the program. To what extent remains to be seen - Please tell us which one got you :smile5:

Again, having said that, if you are downloading programs that are notoriously tainted, shame on you. You should know better and your mac will probably need formatted and re-booted from the os disc.

You probably should back up everything on an external hard drive then go have all the downloading fun you care to have.

Bottom line, my thoughts only - anytime you download anything, it's a gamble especially in today's environment.

Forgot to mention, we have been on macs for almost 20 years, never got a virus nor malware.

As a couple of people stated above. Mac has been less prone to virus attacks in the past because the vast majority of computers out there are PC. Therefore the virus/malware wrighters would target the largest number of computers possible, this being PC. But Mac is still prone to virus attacks and as they get more popular, so will these attacks.

Anyone who would disagree might want to take a look at this link and ask themselves. Would this exist if there were nothing for Mac users to worry about?

http://buy.norton.com/estore/mf/productDetails/slotNo/16/sourcePageType/Category/categoryCode/Macintosh_Sub_Category/productShortName/norton-internet-security-mac/productSkuCode/14551955/priceGroupId/1000000/

Totally wrong. As matter of fact the apple Os is the new frontier for hackers. Apple users will now have to learn to deal with what we PC users already deal with on a daily basis. NO System is totally secure, period.

If Macs never got viruses why do Antivirus companies make software for them?

Here is a free Mac Antivirus from a company we used to use at work called Sophos Anti virus. http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-antivirus-for-mac-home-edition.aspx We have a couple of thousand Macs still in our system and Ive seen an average of 2 or 3 a month get viruses. We dont protect them with an antivirus program as they arent used to store info, we just re-image the student machines when they get infected.

Brian