IGNORED

music downloads

hipshot

Guest scarylarry

If it is free, then it is shareware files and they are not safe..

Limewire claim to be safe and I know several computers that was infected by some type of virus

I dont download anymore but i do stream free music from place like www.icebergradio.com or www.pandora.com. Both are free services to listen to but you have to set up a free account with them. If you hear a tune on iceberg you can pay for it and download it.

One of the best things about streaming is that there is a very minimal risk of getting a virus compared to using a leecher or a bit-torrent site.

Brian

Go to this site and register (it's free). After registering, you can search band name. It will give you links to sites like Rapidshare, Fileserve etc. Copy these links into another tab and click "free user" and you can get just about anything you can name. As always make sure you virus scan the file before you open it, but I have yet to come across a music file with a virus.

www.warez-bb.org[url="http://www.warez-bb.org"]
[/url]

http://www.radiofreetexas.org/ is also a good site for listening to Texas based music online.

As for illegal downloading, it's illegal and I condone using Miro and The Pirate Bay.... :D

thepiratebay has been offline for a while.

The best legal source of DRM Free music is probably Amazon mp3.

There are hundreds of legal sites for Indie Artists, much is free.

The worst place is the iTunes Store.

Go to this site and register (it's free). After registering, you can search band name. It will give you links to sites like Rapidshare, Fileserve etc. Copy these links into another tab and click "free user" and you can get just about anything you can name. As always make sure you virus scan the file before you open it, but I have yet to come across a music file with a virus.

www.warez-bb.org[url="http://www.warez-bb.org"]
[/url]

Just be aware that anything with "warez" in the name is not for the meek of heart :)

Just be aware that anything with "warez" in the name is not for the meek of heart :)

Yep, I agree its where the geeks and script kiddies hang out so you never really know what youre going to find.

Brian

The best legal source of DRM Free music is probably Amazon mp3.

There are hundreds of legal sites for Indie Artists, much is free.

Twigg I'm sorry to inform you that thepiratebay is up and running well as ever.

Amazon uses DRM in their ebooks as well as music. It's how they track what your ereader/computer/mp3 player has loaded on it. In the event they lose the right to distribute the book/music Amazon will revoke the installed items via drm sync.

I don't want to get in a flame war over this, not worth it, and it's late.

Twigg I'm sorry to inform you that thepiratebay is up and running well as ever.

Amazon uses DRM in their ebooks as well as music. It's how they track what your ereader/computer/mp3 player has loaded on it. In the event they lose the right to distribute the book/music Amazon will revoke the installed items via drm sync.

I don't want to get in a flame war over this, not worth it, and it's late.

It appears that pirate bay is back up ... we will see for how long this time.

As for Amazon mp3 .... This is from the Amazon website:

What does DRM-free mean?

Digital Rights Management or "DRM" commonly refers to software that is designed to control or limit how a file can be played, copied, downloaded, shared, or accessed. DRM-free means that the MP3 files you purchase from Amazon.com do not contain any software that will restrict your use of the file.

As I said .... Amazon mp3s contain no DRM software. Once you have bought them, you are free to do whatever you want with them.

It is a policy that is serving Amazon, and the Artists, very well. It has also hit Apple's dominance badly, and hopefully it is a trend that will continue.

It was still there this morning and just a few minutes ago according to one of my contacts, because I would never download anything without it going through the proper channels.

It was still there this morning and just a few minutes ago according to one of my contacts, because I would never download anything without it going through the proper channels.

lol ... It is there now. It wasn't two weeks ago, it might be tomorrow :)

Personally .... I approve of Limewire and thepiratebay ... Without them we would be suffering even more restrictive practises from the RIAA, not a loosening as demonstrated by Amazon and others.

It's interesting that all the time that the industry was banging on about illegal downloads, sales were actually through the roof.

I have no intention of either promoting or supporting illegal music down-loading, but the issue is never as simple as some would like it to be. Illegal down-loading is simply a fact of life, and the industry is learning to cope ... They need to, they have ripped off both the cutomers and the Artists for about two generations now.

In the end we will all benefit.

By the way ... I have lost count of the number of times I have "borrowed" a track from Limewire, then gone to Amazon and bought the album. I know that I am not alone in this.

I have about 100gig of drm free. I just visit friends with a hard drive and we swap. But pirate bay gets my vote. Just scan everything a use common sense. If you get a bug you were probably using the wrong anti-virus :-)

Frank

Limewire, frostwire,arces, bearshare are all sites teenagers use for music sharing. I fix pc's as a sideline and whenever I get a messed up one from a kid alot of times one of them programs are involved. So you take it from there. I do have a collection of oldies and country I've culled from them pc's so if someone looks me up at MD, I can transfer some from my external harddrive to thier laptop there. PM me with what you like for music and I'll see if I can help out.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

log onto any site or play any file and record the music in any formatt. later you can edit the tags and change to whatever your mp3 player accepts...

By the way, utube has a huge selection of music... If your computer is slow to dowwnload, let the song play thru once then hit the play button again and record.

Save your money for some Bling for the Bike!:mo money:

it never occured to me, that downloading "web" music could be illegal!

i am certainly not interested in breaking any laws.

looks like i'll just cruise around on You tube,when i want to hear good music.

thanks a million for all the input.

just jt

Amazon has some free music that you can download (just search for music .00 to .01). Now their is a lot of music out there. You may want to limit your selection to country. As an example the song Lonesome by Cory Morrow is free.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lonesome/dp/B0045NFUFI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1304876950&sr=1-4]Amazon.com: Lonesome: Cory Morrow: MP3 Downloads@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51HsVKoInZL.@@AMEPARAM@@51HsVKoInZL[/ame]

As said before, be very careful of any site that has warez in the url, also torrents (as in piratebay and other sites) are being looked into for violation of copyright laws.

Best to legally download from Amazon, Walmart, or Itunes as examples.

Hope this helps.

regards,

smalltowntx

"If it is free, then it is shareware files and they are not safe.."

Bull ! Just because something is free or shareware does NOT mean it is malware infected.

Sure, there are lots of infected 'warez' on the internet, but there are infected 'sites' too... whatever you download, scan *first* before installation/use. Even better, use Web of Trust (WOT) to help stay clear of suspicious sites, or Sandboxie to stay safer while surfing or installing...

But I find your blanket statement totally off the mark, as MANY free and shareware files are legitimate, safe alternatives.

A few months ago I heard on the news that a judge shut down limeware. Speaking of you tube there are some good music vidoes there but how can you download just the music to your mp3? Nuther question. I record programs on our DVR. Is there a way to record these to a cd?

A few months ago I heard on the news that a judge shut down limeware. Speaking of you tube there are some good music vidoes there but how can you download just the music to your mp3? Nuther question. I record programs on our DVR. Is there a way to record these to a cd?

Generally no, there is no easy way to get stuff from your DVR to DVD.

Technically it is perfectly possible, but the Cable companies have chosen to make it hard. Sometimes the stuff is encrypted on the hard drive, and the file formats are proprietory.

Some of the connections on the back of the unit are disabled ... some can be enabled for a fee.

If you are prepared to do a lot of digging, and some hacking, then it can be done, but it's not easy.

What is easy is recording off air HDTV to a computer, and then you have easy access to the files and can do what you like with them.

If you can set up a PC to record HDMI streamed from the DVR, then you probably can get the stuff off the DVR in a format you can use.

Guest tx2sturgis

No...the WORST place to download free music is limewire, piratebay, frostwire, etc.

Since the records (who, what, when, where) of those free downloads are kept, you can get fined for doing it.

The best place to download music is something exactly like itunes or amazon....altho if you plan to download hundreds or thousands of songs, it can get expensive. There are exceptions and work-arounds for anything on the net, but in general, for the casual downloader, who wants a few songs, paying for them is a lot safer.

No...the WORST place to download free music is limewire, piratebay, frostwire, etc.

Since the records (who, what, when, where) of those free downloads are kept, you can get fined for doing it.

The best place to download music is something exactly like itunes or amazon....altho if you plan to download hundreds or thousands of songs, it can get expensive. There are exceptions and work-arounds for anything on the net, but in general, for the casual downloader, who wants a few songs, paying for them is a lot safer.

I can selectively quote too.

The worst place .... The very worst place is iTunes.

If you're talking about recording the TV program, video and audio, then you can record to a DVD, but a CD won't hold much and you would be making a VCD. This may require a computer. It will depend on your DVR.

Otherwise it may depend on your DVR. Dish network DVRs have an S-Video and left and right audio outputs for "home distribution" to SD TVs that I have connected to my DVD burner. (If you don't have S-Video input look for the "yellow" phone plug video) I can record any of the TV programs from my DVR to my DVD burner. Not sure about the Tivo based DVRs that the cable companys use.

Recording HD is another ball of wax. If you have component video output you can use a computer to record in HD with a Haupage adapter.

For audio only if you have the right and left audio outputs you could connect a stand alone cd burner to it and record just audio. Kinda like we used to sit the cassette deck in front of the radio!

For You Tube, if you use the Firefox browser you can get an add-on that will convert the audio to a MP3 file.

Not sure if everyone saw my post yesterday about Bit Torrent.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59456

Edited by GaThumper