IGNORED

exhaust mystery

Guest Deerjunky

Guest Deerjunky

Well, its been a while since I posted, and here i am wanting something.

I have a rstd 06 with 4000 miles. I have noticed in the last 2,000 miles, a strong exhaust odor while riding the bike at any speed. It seems to come up in my face, and happens on harder accelleration. I does seem like it may be coming from the back pipe at the cylinder head on the left. Nothing seems loose, and I do not notice any discoloration on the pipes or junctions that indicate a loose header pipe.

I had a dealer check it out but he claimed he did not smell anything. But its not constant, its just a rush of smell after a hard accelleration, then the wind seems to drive it away. I have a small amount of popping, although I have plugged the ais.

Any insights on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Guest Deerjunky

Been busy for a few days helping other people-- thought I would check back to see if anyone would respond. Still have the exhaust problem, but no answers or ideas from the group. Anybody out there with this exhaust problem? Jim:confused24:

Jim,

Sorry your not getting any replies on this from the group..hang in there....

I can only guess, and I have a couple that you could check out...

(1) The carbs are set to lean. When you give full throttle, you have way to much gas.....and it overflows with fuel.

(2) Possibly the floats are beinginng to stick and fill the carbs more than they need to be.....again overflows with fuel

(3) Have you sync'd the carbs lately??

You could try a can of....ah heck ,my mind just went blank...you know, that stuff you put in with the gas...one can to a full tank of gas...and run the bike. This stuff is mentioned on this site often..

HELP>.........Im blank.......SEA FOAM..yea...thats it....

SEA FOAM...

WOW, got my memory back now...

Does it smell like oil burning? Because when you get on the bike it pushes more oil into breather box into carbs and will give you an oil burn smell. Maybe want to check valve clearance which will cause exhaust popping and add in more internal engine pressure causing more oil to go to air box.

Maybe not the problem but I had this on mine at about 25000 miles.:confused24:

Jim,

I have always suspected this and I just had this suspision verified the other day by a very knowledgable Yamaha dealership.

And if you have a cylinder popping while idling, your air mixture is too lean. When I first felt this was the problem, it just didn't make sense because I felt it should be just the opposite. The dealer that verified this as the problem said that Yamaha has these bikes set so lean at the factory, and richening them up a bit will only help.

So unless your Yamaha dealership has a EGA (Exhaust Gas Analizer) machine, I'd start backing out the air mixture screws 1/8 to 1/4 turn until the popping goes away. The Yamaha EGA machine is the best way because they can attach probs into each exhaust to tune each carb perfectly. Some dealers have gone to a Dyno where they can only sniff one muffler which deals with 2 cylinders. These screws are a pain to get to and have a brass nipple over the screw that you will have to pry or pull off.

So now you have something to try, so let us know if this helps,

Rick

Mine was doing this early spring of last year. Thought it might be the carbs were out sync. Fortunately it was still in warranty. Took to the Yamaha shop in Hurst, TX. Come to find out it was running too rich. They said the O2 levels were off. They checked the sync. of the carbs also, but said they were OK. Did all this under warranty.

And if you have a cylinder popping while idling, your air mixture is too lean. When I first felt this was the problem, it just didn't make sense because I felt it should be just the opposite. The dealer that verified this as the problem said that Yamaha has these bikes set so lean at the factory, and richening them up a bit will only help.

Rick

Rick Question and statement, if you do not mind, (I am not doubting you just noticing something slightly different)

You say popping while idling, The fuel mixture is lean. Is this the same as when we are decelerating ?

The reason I ask is my 99 only pops when decelerating (down shifting) or letting off the throttle. However it only does it when the carbs are out of synch, and with the choke on slightly. AS soon as the engine warms and I shut the choke off, nothing no popping. Or if I go and synch the carbs I will not get any popping with choke on or off.

If my choke (just slightly) is on then I would assume that my fuel mixture would be rich or at least richer than with it off.

Rick Curious your thoughts. ?

Original question. I assume the smell is gas fumes ??? I do not have the answer but I too smell fumes every once in a while under full throttle acceleration, but it is not all the time. It was worse a few months back but after some seafoam it seemed to clear up a bit but recently I have noticed it again. (bin a while since I have added Seafoam to the bike).

Brad

• 1 month later...
Guest daytripper

my 05 midnite also has a flutter sounds like on one cylinder on right side when warming up with choke on half way or any thing less than full choke till it gets warmed up. left side of engine hits a solid lick on both cylinders and never flutters. I was wondering if any body knows if this is caused by carbs or valves needing adjustment It has about 15000 miles on it but it has done this since new. Somebody in the know please reply. Daytripper

• 3 weeks later...

You might need to adjust the " Idle adjust needle jets "

2 1/8 turns open CCW from full closed I believe is the agreed upon correct starting point.

You have to pull the lead seal, over each one. Screw them In CW and count the number of 1/4 turns, and make a record of each of the 4 carbs. So you know where they were set.

Then reset too 2 1/8 turn open ( CCW )

This might take care of your problem.

You should then do a full Carb ReSync.