IGNORED

Weak front brakes

However it is interesting to realize that Yamaha had this same 2-piston front, 4-piston brake configuration on the Road Star in the 1999. But more interesting is the fact that they changed the front calipers in 2004 to a 4 piston design.....the very same calipers they used on the early R6 and R1s.

Also note that when they went to the R1 style caliper on the later Roadstars, they also went to a 14mm M/C. Same with any other bike, cruiser or sportbike, that uses the R1 style caliper. This is the proper combination. I would not use R1 calipers with our stock 5/8" bore master cylinder, as it dramatically reduces the braking power of which the R1 calipers are capable.

Just listen to what Pegscraper has to say.

I guided him through all this, and he just wouldn't believe me until he mounted the 14mm Master.

It makes a tremendous Difference. It's not only the the Piston Diameter on the Master but also a different Leverage between Lever and Piston Rod.

Most People which are already happy with the Way the 5/8" Master works will be really happy Campers when they mount a 14mm Master. Please notice, i said MOST People. I know two Guys which liked the kinda "digital" Feeling on the Lever more than the powerfull and controlable Feeling of the 14mm Master.

Pegscraper went the extra Mile and got semi-floated 298mm Rotors instead of the stock rigid Discs and this gave an extra Boost over his already much better Setup.

Lynn, I really didn't say nor meant to say you've been a "tough Customer". We talked a Lot about improving the Braking Performance on your Ride, and while you believed most of what i said, i heard some Doubt ringing through your Words about the Brake Master Cylinder until you actually did it.

I'm glad it worked as i said it would and i honestly believe, everybody should consider this rather sooner than later. These Bike are heavy, and most Riders tend to put a Lot of Weight on it, be it Riders and Passengers, Safety Chrome, Luggage ....

Along with steel braided Brake Lines, it makes world of Difference, and it's a real Improvement in Safety. You said this after you completed the Mod and i sure toot in the same Horn.

Guys,

This is the main reason I chose to develop an adjustable proportioning valve to keep rear wheel lockups to a minimum.

I have Rick's rear adjustable proportioning valve and really like it. It doesn't reduce the rear's braking capacity, it just reduces the initial "grab".

• 7 years later...
You're right. The Venture front brakes are weak.

However, first lets assume a couple of things. Lets take for granted that your pads are in good shape, that the calipers don't have any frozen or sticky pistons in them, and that your brake lines aren't deteriorated and spongy.

If all of those things are in good shape and you still have weak brakes, consider going to steal brake lines. That will give a little better braking feel

All of that said, I think the best fix is to go to the R1/R6 four piston calipers. It's a bolt on conversion. Skydoc here on the forum sells a complete ready to bolt on kit with rebuilt/painted calipers/pads/bake lines, or any combination of. I bought mine off of Ebay and did the entire conversion for under $100.

The improvement in braking with the new calipers is nothing short of amazing. Even with my stock rubber brake lines, the front brakes on my Venture are now all that I could ask for.

Will any year calipers of the R6 series fit on a stock 99 RSV and what models use a 14mm master cylinder. I live in Mexico and must do all of my shopping on line, so any detailed information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks MIke (cami)