IGNORED

Finally got my first fix for PMS.

Flyinfool

I finally got enough stuff done on the bike to take it out for the first of many required doses of the treatment for PMS. There is no cure.

Not a monster ride but a good shakedown of about 80 miles with a lot of it around town.

About a third of it was on local streets and the rest on local highways. The wind was brutal, I have never ridden in that much wind and at one point going over a high bridge, with a 40mph cross wind, over the harbor, I had to slow down to about 40mph just to stay on the bike. There were a couple of times that a gust hit me hard enough that I had to make an effort to not get blown off the side of the bike. The bike itself seemed to handle the cross wind just fine, it was me that didn't.

Of course the bike ran crappy since the tank is/was full of gas bought in October of last year, and of course it was crap reformulated gas to boot. It was well dosed with SeaFoam before it went to sleep for the winter. In a couple of more days of commuting to work, I should have the tank empty and be able to give her a nice drink of fresh gas.

It is going to take a lot more work to get my left arm back into riding shape after the injuries from last month. I still can not hold in the clutch for a whole red light but a month ago I could not pull in the clutch at all. And yes being the stubborn one that I am, I have been avoiding seeing a Dr about it.

I am hoping that in another week I can start pulling the trailer around some to get used to it being back there before I make the epic (for me) trek to Ohio in June. I have started to pay attention to my location in the lane and pretending that I am pulling the trailer.

But the bottom line is that my PMS is doing a lot better now.

I still can not hold in the clutch for a whole red light

I don't think there's any valid reason to do this (especially with the preservation of release/throwout bearings in mind). I always sit there in neutral instead. In the event of a rapid moveout it only takes a split second to dump er into gear and roll out.

Jeff, I admire all the efforts you have made to get the bike on the road. This is kinda like eating an elephant.....one bite at a time.

RandyA

Thanks

There is still a lot to do but it is getting there.

I don't think there's any valid reason to do this (especially with the preservation of release/throwout bearings in mind). I always sit there in neutral instead. In the event of a rapid moveout it only takes a split second to dump er into gear and roll out.

I personally have been in situations where I did not have the extra split second to shift into gear before I could be hard on the power to blow the red light thru a traffic gap to avoid getting creamed from behind. At 30 mph a cage travels 44 feet per second, even if you are fast enough to pull in the clutch, pick your foot up off the ground and click it into gear in a half second, (I doubt anyone is that fast) the errant cage is still another 22 feet closer to creaming you.

I can not recall (but I do have CRS) any thread where someone wore out a throwout bearing on one of these bikes that would lead one to worry about implementing throwout bearing preservation techniques. On a cage maybe, on a bike no.