I have a '87 venture and want to replace or fix my seat. I feel as if I sit too low. If I put my sheepskin gelpad down I sit pretty good. But if I put my wife's gelpad down on top of it I feel as though I'm sitting at the right height. Just the seat by itself and I feel like I'm way too low. Would a mustang or corbin make a difference with the height? Or should I get my stock seat "re-cushioned"? Appreciate any help. Thanks

You will find the Corbin sets even lower and you have a tendency to slide forward on it. Not sure about the Mustang seets.

For the money, you will probably be better served having the seat restuffed/reupholstered, or jack up your air suspension a bit more...

The problem I have isn't the suspension height it's the seat height. The cover seems loose as to indicate the foam is just worn out and lost it's thickness. I 'll try images in the wind but will probably end up bringing to a seat shop I've used before. Thanks guys

Tom,

When it was time to get the seat done on my 83, I heard about a local guy that did motorcycle seat re-upholstery. When he re-did it, he found the padding was tired, so he added some new padding. I'm not short, so the added height was great. The best part was how the seat felt though. NOw that my shorter brother is riding the bike, he feels it's a little to high for him.

When I bought the 89, I wasn't happy with the way the seat felt. I took it to him and because my 89 had a brown seat, (my 83 is black) he couldn't find the exact color. He suggested that I take his samples home and pick a color. I gave my wife the samples and she picked out a great color, however because it wasn't the same as the original, I had to take the pads off of the travel trunk to him also. I think he charged me $175-200 for everything, and when I put it all back on it looked fantastic. However, I wasn't happy with the seat at first. The added padding made both my wife an I slide forward. It did break in---after a couple of months it felt better for me but my wife still slid forward. She got the brilliant idea to sit on a piece of "shelve liner". By shelve liner I mean the stuff you put on shelves or on camper counters to keep things from sliding around. Now she stays put. If I have him do another bike, I'll make sure he changes the padding a little to stop the forward slidding.

The guy lives in Joliet, IL, so that's a bit from MA, but he does great work. If you can't find somebody local and want the seat done, send me a message and I'll get the two of you together.

Frank

The problem I have isn't the suspension height it's the seat height. The cover seems loose as to indicate the foam is just worn out and lost it's thickness. I 'll try images in the wind but will probably end up bringing to a seat shop I've used before. Thanks guys

One of our members Rick Butler reworks seats. You might try contacting him about raising the sitting position. Sounds like the previous owner has taken some of the padding out.....

I sent my seat to Russell Daylong this spring. Seat is awesome. When you send it in request the added height. Best money i've spent.

This is the long term solution just about every LDRider will endorse.

It's not cheap, but is cheaper than Corbin.

Corbin makes stellar seats, but they are not custom. If they suit you you will love them though.

If your seat cover is not in bad shape it's not hard to pull the cover off, fix the stuffing or add a nice gel pad in there and replace the cover.

just take your time and go slowly and a couple hours in a afternoon can get it done. While you are in there think about adding a heated butt pad for a nice heated seat upgrade.