IGNORED

windshield hardcoating

Has anyone got any idea as to how I can get all the hardcoating off of my windshield? I cut it down a few months back and did so by tapeing it up with masking tape. When I got ready to peel the tape off, the hardcoating came with the tape(mostly) but there is still some stuck on that I've tried to retape and and pull off but it just will not turn loose. Any suggestions???

I don't have a great answer but I know that too much polishing of a coated shield will remove and ruin the shield. I would think that any type of good plastic polish would remove it. Maybe one of the kits that they sell to restore the "yellowing" plastic headlights?

To be honest, I pretty much considered a shield with the coating removed to be ruined. The coating adds hardness to resist scratches and etc. You will probably get by with it for a while but I wouldn't expect it to look good for very long. It may last a long time if you are VERY careful with how you clean it though.

To get it all off of mine I had to sand it with 2000 wet till the whole windshield was nice and milky white with no shiny spots left. Any shiny spots are remaining coating.

Once the whole thing is sanded then used a power buffer with rubbing compound, followed by polishing compound till it was clear as glass.

It was a lot of work but it turned the old scratched up windshield to look like new again. The only draw back is that it will now scratch VERY easy without the hard coating.

high pressure water at the doit yourself carwash:whistling:

i found this out the hard way, while on a trip and ran into a bug storm..... i must agree with don.. it was junk for me at that point.

more power to ya if you can make it work!:080402gudl_prv:

i found this out the hard way, while on a trip and ran into a bug storm..... i must agree with don.. it was junk for me at that point.

more power to ya if you can make it work!:080402gudl_prv:

I agree with Mike, the High Pressure wash will take it off but it is basically junk. If you are looking over the top of it it won't matter anyway I guess.

BOO