IGNORED

Horn(s) not working - Relay just clicks

I just bought my 89 Venture Royale and when I press the Horn button I can hear the Relay clicking. I have looked all over the inside of the fairing and around the bike for the horn(s) and can not locate them? Not sure if they are missing or if I am not looking in the correct place.

Can anyone tell me where they are located from the factory? I've looked at the wiring diagrams but still no luck. Don't like not having a horn............

Pictures would be awesome if available.

THANKS!!

:confused24:

OK here's some more info. First, take off one of the horns and hook it across the basttery to see if it just plain works. If it does, the problem is most likely dirty contacts on your horn switch. All the switch does is connect the horn to ground. That's pretty much the whole circuit for the stock horns. There is a tech manual here on site in the form of a PDF file.

What some of us members do is buy a WOLO Bad Boy horn (or 2) from Harbor Freight, Auto Zone, Wally World, etc. and use them and add a horn relay in the circuit as the Bad Boy (some members like to spend extra and buy the Steibel horn which is the same OEM as the bad boy but much more expensive) draws a lot more current and the stock horn switch can't handle the load. We use the stock horn leads to trigger the primary of the relay, and run a line directly from the battery thru a fuse to the relay contacts and then to the horn, and ground the other side of the horn. The horn is marked plus and minus. Harbor Freight sells the horn for around $40, other places want between $50 - $70. A standard relay should run you about $5.

You will now give freight trains competition for loudness...

These work great also. Ebay item 260768582046 $41.00 including shipping.

Stebel Magnum Motorcycle Horns - Dual Tone - Chrome

--------------------------------------------------------------

I put 4 of these on 1 set on each of the horn wired with a relay for each set of horns.

Ebay item 220743622068 $26.50 per set including shipping.

If you do some research and look them up you can hear a test sounds on many horns. I found these just as loud as the Stebel Air Horns.

I selected to go the electric route for I read that water sometimes can damage air horns. But if you position the sir horns on correctly you should be just fine.

I put 4 on so I can be heard front , rear and both sides. I mounted a set on the rear bag crash bars. And I Installed the High Low so which ever position the cars are at from me the driver will get a direct blast from a set of High and Low Combined.

They are absolutely awsome.

I just bought my 89 Venture Royale and when I press the Horn button I can hear the Relay clicking. I have looked all over the inside of the fairing and around the bike for the horn(s) and can not locate them? Not sure if they are missing or if I am not looking in the correct place.

Can anyone tell me where they are located from the factory? I've looked at the wiring diagrams but still no luck. Don't like not having a horn............

Pictures would be awesome if available.

THANKS!!

:confused24:

Sounds like they are missing , 2 come stock on a 1st gen , rite and left just above the motor crash bars . mine are after market , in the pic you may be able to see it , it is under the driving lite . the notch in the chrome part below the side reflecter is where the horn mounts .

Ahhh! I carefully reread your post. I misinterpreted. I thought you were wondering where the horn relay was, not the horns!! There is no stock relay but that does not mean someone didn't add one for air horns, and then removed the horns before selling the bike! The stock horns are on brackets along side the radiator on each side about half way down or so. The brackets bolt onto the frame.