IGNORED

A world of trouble

Black Owl

Which directly translates to "THE MEXICAN UNITED STATES" .... hhmmmmmmmm isn't Texas included in that?

:sign20::witch_brew:

check this out...

http://www2.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html

actually, rick, you are partially correct.

before Texas became a state, in these united states, it was a "Mexican state".

it might surprise some , to know just how large Texas was, when it became a REPUBLIC!!!

as a "free and sovereign nation", Texas took in most of Oklahoma, Arizona , parts of Colorado, Utah, and Idaho!

then, the U.S.govt. started chopping parts off of it, to make more states.

broader tax base , i guess!lol

just jt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, rick, you are partially correct.

before Texas became a state, in these united states, it was a "Mexican state".

it might surprise some , to know just how large Texas was, when it became a REPUBLIC!!!

as a "free and sovereign nation", Texas took in most of Oklahoma, Arizona , parts of Colorado, Utah, and Idaho!

then, the U.S.govt. started chopping parts off of it, to make more states.

broader tax base , i guess!lol

just jt

Interestingly enuf, I actually knew most of that....for some reason, when I was in school learning geography, they taught us more about the USA and the rest of the world than they did about Canada.

PLUS, all them western movies I've watched have been a major factor in broadening my knowledge of such topics!!

:sign20:

A couple of related stories...

I was in Hammonton, NJ a few months ago. I stopped at a convenience store there and picked about $5 worth of various items. The clerk actually counted back my change! It has been years since anyone did that. I would guess many people would not be able to do that if they wanted to.

Story two...many years ago my friends and I would hang out at Bob's Big Boy in Montrose, CA. They had a cashier who was not too bright and this was before computerized registers. We would end up with a tab of say, $18.42. We would hand her some random amount like $31.16 and then watch her try to figure it out. Always provided some entertainment!

Here's one that "escapes" me! Years ago, change was pennies, nickels, dimes, and the odd 50 cent piece and sometimes if you were lucky, a "silver dollar". That was all considered "coins". Everything from a dollar up was a bill. Then they came out with the Loonie which replaced the $1 bill. Now we have the Twoney wich replaces the $2 bill. From my perspective, it's all "COINs".... as a guy, I put my coin in my pocket and my bills in my wallet. OK, so the thing I don't "get" is why, when a clerk is handing your change back to you, do they include the Looneys and Twooneys with the bills and hand it back separately from the rest of the change.... or, and this is another one that frustrates me to no end... they place the bills in your hand first and then plunk the change on top....and if ya aren't paying attention, the danged changes slides right off!! ..... now, if they were to count the change out backwards (like it was done in the "old" days), the coins would go into your hand first and then the bills and at that time you could easilly switch hands for them to put the bills into, slip the change into your pocket and be ready to put the bills into your wallet.

Kindof a small thing I guess but it is just one of those "things" that add a level of frustration.

I used to travel extensively. When I would get back to my hotel room in the evening I would always throw my change on the desk. When I left, I would throw all the accumulated change in a compartment in my suitcase. The $3 or so that I would have at the end of the week of travel would get tossed into the change jar at home that would get emptied out a couple of times per year. Well, I had a consulting job in Toronto for over a year. I would end up coming home with $20 in change cause the loonies and twonies would all get tossed in with the regular change. On my last trip to the client in Toronto I brought all my Canadian currency with me so I could use it or exchange it. I had over $200 in "change" that I needed to convert.

Now that you have had dollar coins for several years, do you prefer that to paper?

I used to travel extensively. When I would get back to my hotel room in the evening I would always throw my change on the desk. When I left, I would throw all the accumulated change in a compartment in my suitcase. The $3 or so that I would have at the end of the week of travel would get tossed into the change jar at home that would get emptied out a couple of times per year. Well, I had a consulting job in Toronto for over a year. I would end up coming home with $20 in change cause the loonies and twonies would all get tossed in with the regular change. On my last trip to the client in Toronto I brought all my Canadian currency with me so I could use it or exchange it. I had over $200 in "change" that I needed to convert.

Now that you have had dollar coins for several years, do you prefer that to paper?

I do or have done that as well... I prefer the looney and twooney coins for this reason because it makes it so easy to "save up" a "good chunk of change". We generally let it build until holiday time, then sit down and roll it all up and take it to the bank to exchange for bills or just deposit it.

A bit off topic all of this is but ..... We live in a house that has a 1 bdrm suite in the basement. The heat & light (utilities) are shared...we pay 2/3 and the tenant down there pays 1/3. I get the bill, divvy it up and he pays me cash... I stick that into a cash box and save it up also for holidays. Between that and the coins, it really adds up!

I like the coins....took some getting used to but I like them, they are cleaner and don't crumple like the old dollar bills. (we didn't see too many two dollar bills anyways.)

Easier to handle the coins than a lot of one dollar bills. And the word is that we may be getting five dollar coins I guess it's cheaper to make coins cause they last longer.

Now the metric system is another matter. We still have a combination of metric and imperial in use. Its easier to say "the mile road" than it is to say "the one point six (1.6) kilometer road".

Anyways my two cents worth.

(we didn't see too many two dollar bills anyways.)

hey duke... that depended on which province ya were in... BC had lots of them but you wouldn't see them in Alberta... was a bad omen or something to them LOL

I still have some of the old 1 & 2 dollar bills somewhere...maybe some day they will be worth something LOL

got this one in an email today.

BE AFRAID, BE VERY, VERY AFRAID THESE PEOPLE ARE ROAMING THE STREETS UP HERE AND GOING TO COLLEGE

IDIOT SIGHTING :

We had to have the garage door repaired. The Sears repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a "large" enough motor on the opener. I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one Sears made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower. He shook his head and said, "Lady, you need a 1/4 horsepower." I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4. He said, "NO, it's not." Four is larger than two.."

We haven't used Sears repair since.IDIOT SIGHTINGMy daughter and I went through the McDonald's take-out window and I gave the clerk a $5 bill. Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her a quarter. She said, "You gave me too much money." I said, "Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar bill back." She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request. I did so, and he handed me back the quarter, and said we're sorry but they could not do that kind of thing." The clerk then proceeded to give me back $1 and 75 cents in change. Do not confuse the clerks at Mickey D's.

IDIOT SIGHTING:I live in a semi rural area. We recently had a new neighbor call the local township administrative office to request the removal of the DEER CROSSING sign on our road. The reason: "Too many deer are being hit by cars out here! I don't think this is a good place for them to be crossing anymore."

From Kingman, KS .IDIOT SIGHTING IN FOOD SERVICE:

My daughter went to a local Taco Bell and ordered a taco. She asked the person behind the counter for "minimal lettuce." He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce. From Kansas City

IDIOT SIGHTING:

I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked, "Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?" To which I replied, "If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?" He smiled knowingly and nodded, "That's why we ask."

Happened in Birmingham , Ala IDIOT SIGHTING:

The stoplight on the corner buzzes when it's safe to cross the street. I was crossing with an intellectually challenged coworker of mine. She asked if I knew what the buzzer was for. I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red. Appalled, she responded, "What on earth are blind people doing driving?!" She was a probation officer in Wichita , KS .

IDIOT SIGHTING:

At a good-bye luncheon for an old and dear coworker. She was leaving the company due to "downsizing." Our manager commented cheerfully, "This is fun. We should do this more often." Not another word was spoken. We all just looked at each other with that deer-in-the-headlights stare.

This was a lunch at TexasInstruments.

IDIOT SIGHTING :

I work with an individual who plugged her power strip back into itself and for the sake of her life, couldn't understand why her system would not turn on.

A deputy with the DallasCounty Sheriffs office, no less.

IDIOT SIGHTING :

When my husband and I arrived at an automobile dealership to pick up our car, we were told the keys had been locked in it. We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the drivers side door. As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked. "Hey," I announced to the technician, "its open!" His reply, "I know. I already got that side."

This was at the Ford dealership in Canton , Mississippi

STAY ALERT!

They walk among us... and the scary part is that they VOTE and REPRODUCE and our enemies know it!!!

It's interesting that nobody has mentioned the parents of this 'younger generation' that can't function and that doesn't have even the most basic knowledge base.

If it weren't for parents who are expect every child to get the very best grade (and blame the teacher if their kids don't get it) and hamstring the educational system with lawsuits and complaints about discrimination if their children are scolded, or otherwise told to straighten up, I think a lot of these issues would go away.

In short- the schools are meeting the expectations of the parents- bowing to the atmosphere of entitlement and ease of living that the parents feel their kids deserve. We can't blame the next generation for the system that 'we' have allowed to develop.

you hit the nail on the head.these kids are a product of their invironment.just think what their kids will be like and on, and on, and on. :depressed: :sign29:

I have been following this thread for a while now and it surprises me how long it has been going. It seams that we are putting a lot of these people down, when instead we should be looking at ourselves. Our schools have failed them and folks, when the schools are failing we need to look at ourselves.

We need not always tax ourselves more to have better schools and teachers, but we sure do need to take an active interest in our schools. Maybe volunteering, chaparoning a dance, going to athletic events, school plays. These schools are are the most valuable asset our communities will ever have. They bring jobs, provide a community center, and try to serve everyone.

What we have seen in this thread is the result of not just poor schools, but a communty failing to support their schools. If you are on this site, thank your teachers and school that you have the ability.

USA (United States of America) The possibilities are Unitians, Statians, or Americans!!!!!

The other countries in North America are Canada where Canadians live, and Mexico where Mexicans live. In South America there are Peruvians, Chileans, Bolivians and do I need to go on. None of the other countries have America in their name.

Brazilians call themselves Americans.

REALLY? Where does that info come from? I've never seen it or heard it anywhere. I've been to Brazil a couple of times on business but haven't spent a lot of time there. Everything I've ever seen though referred to them as Brazilians.

I can't find the link now, but I do remember reading about it. But Darned if I can back it up.