IGNORED

Need some help with my Silverwing

My "other" bike is a 1981 Honda Silverwing 500. I put a ton of miles on it every year, and for 5 years have not had a problem. Well now I am having a problem that I am unsure how to fix, or diagnose. Until tonight I have not had any problems with it starting. Now tonight I picked up my wife from work with it and when she got on I hit the button and the lights went out like normal but nothing else. I had to jump the solenoid to get it to start. After that I noticed that the lights seem to get brighter and dimmer, the turn signals work for a minute then just stay on and at the gas station I had to push start it.

I do have a new solenoid ordered, but is that the whole problem or just the tip of the iceberg? My wife thinks I am going to retire it once the Venture is up and going. That is not going to happen. I need to figure this out. Everything I checked with my meter has a voltage range from 11.0 volts to 15.1 volts. Right off the alternator it sits constant at 15 volts (ac here). Any help would be appreciated.

And I replaced the rectifier about a month ago, the old one just quit. That was obvious as I lost power everywhere. May still be a problem with the new one just wanted to get all info out. Shaun

Edited by Reddog170
misspell

Put a full charge on the battery and have it load tested. Thats the only way to really be sure that the battery is good. There's nothing that says even a new rectifier isn't bad, I'm sure it's something simple enough. Check all your connections too for being clean and tight, a little corrosion will make funny things happen.

Agree your battery doesn't have the poop it needs, but also check your altenator.

a bad altenator will make your lights go bright to dim as it is going out.

just a thought to check on.

That is normally what I would do except I replaced the battery right before the rectifier. I do have a tender on it and will see what happens when I get the new solenoid. Shaun

Rectifier went bad due to a short I imagine. Found a wire that had chafed and was rubbing on the frame. I will also be taking my battery in to the parts store to get it checked. While I wait for a new rectifier and solenoid I am going through all the wiring to ensure it is all is good shape and replacing the glass tube fuses with a spade type fuse block. So some work to do but nothing to hard or time consuming. Thank You for your help. Shaun

I'd check the new battery before I did a lot else...it IS possible to have a "new" battery that goes bad. The one in my new 'Wing died stone dead in two months.. Bad cell. Just sayin it won't hurt to check. Good Luck!

Yep had the battery checked out. It tested low so they warrantied it and gave me a new one. The rectifier will be replaced as well as the solenoid and the wires have been repaired. Just waiting for the parts then I will have her running again. Shaun