IGNORED

I need a little help or advice on a goldwing problem

GS51

I am looking for some help or advice on an 86 Goldwing 1200

My son got a n 86 Gold wing last spring, yea I know it’s not a Venture but he likes it and the price was right his other bike is a Valcon 1500 and he can’t keep up with me when we ride together and long rides are out on that thing it’s just not comfortable on road trips. Anyway last fall the stator went out so the project over the winter was to replace the stator. Well as you know if you have ever worked on a Goldwing to replace the stator you have to remove the engine. So while we had it out we replaced the clutch and the timing belts rather than waiting on them to break down. Well the stator is replaces and working good that’s another story in its self, and we double and triple checked the timing belts with the engine out and with engine back in place. The clutch works better than it ever did when he had it. After putting it all back together the engine runs good a little back fire but hardly noticeable when sitting still even at high rpm’s but when he tries to ride it there is just no torque when he lets out the clutch in gear it can hardly move itself on level ground any king of a grade and you have to keep slipping the clutch to go. When you release the clutch it stalls out completely, the clutch works fine fully engages and disengages just like it should we even flushed the clutch cylinder and checked to be sure it is working freely all is OK. We had the carb rack out at least 4 times to check for vacuum leaks or linkage problems but nothing. Timing is right on, all the cylinders are getting spark 2 of the cylinders look like they may be running rich (Plugs are wet) but no indication of unburned fuel in the exhaust. We really don’t want to rebuild the carbs without having a real good reason to. We are at the end of our wits and he is ready to scrap it out for parts if we don’t get it running soon. This bike ran good before we had to pull the engine to replace the stator.

So any help or suggestions would be helpful

Thanks

Gary :fingers-crossed-emo

Check your timimng again. I know the wings are an interference engine but it is possible that you may have the belts a tooth off or even off 180 degrees.

Is the clutch fully wet. If you put a new clutch in and didnt wet the plates my guess is you are binding up at the clutch.

Check your spark remove one of the plug wires and hold it to the engine not with your hands and crank it see if the wires where you said the plkugs were wet are firing.

Then run over to goldwingfacts.com and ask them over there. they have helpped me with all and any problems ive had with my wings.

Cheers

Check your timimng again. I know the wings are an interference engine but it is possible that you may have the belts a tooth off or even off 180 degrees.

Is the clutch fully wet. If you put a new clutch in and didnt wet the plates my guess is you are binding up at the clutch.

Check your spark remove one of the plug wires and hold it to the engine not with your hands and crank it see if the wires where you said the plkugs were wet are firing.

Then run over to goldwingfacts.com and ask them over there. they have helpped me with all and any problems ive had with my wings.

Cheers

Just what I was going to suggest. They know the 1200 better than Honda ever did, you'll get great help there.

Joe