IGNORED

Cheap collector alternative

I'm not sure how your "mod" will affect a V-4, but since someone mentioned Harley's, I can add some info.

For stree riding, Harley's don't like straight pipes. I know a lot of guys who run straight pipes, and they all have tuning issues. For a carbed bike they play around with the jetting, "torque cones" or buy S&S carbs (a HUGE waste of money!!!), or run a dual fire ignition, and the FI owners play with "fuel packs" (a fancy name for an engine management computer), software 'upgrades', and resistor networks to modify the O2 sensor output. All of these things are treating the symtoms and not the problem. The problem is exhaust gas reversion, and its root cause is ignition design/timing versus valve timing versus pipe length (http://mech2262.drupalgardens.com/content/exhaust-reversion) .

Harleys use a single fire or "wasted spark" ignition. With this type of ignition BOTH plugs fire at the same time.

When you take out the stock cross-over and run straight pipes, the engine is more prone to "carb farting", running lean, the torque curve is shifted higher on the RPM range, gas mileage decreases, and slow speed control (U-Turns, smooth starts from a stop, ect.) becomes more difficult.

From a stree/performance stand point a Harley rider has two options: Run a 2-into1 exhaust system, or run the stock exhaust.

My 883 Sportster has a stock exhaust system with the muffler baffels removed, a stock Harley CV carb with stock jets, stock ignition, and a "Screamin' Eagle" air cleaner with a K&N filter. The advantage of the SE AC is the aluminum backplate. Much better than the stock plastic unit.

With this setup I get a nice stable idle, very good throttle response/control, a louder than stock but not obnoxious exhaust note, VERY good performance, and I average 50 MPG city.

One final note: Performace, Reliability, Cost. Pick any two.

Y'All ride safe....