IGNORED

86 VR Radio Issues

aaronb

I have been working on my bike, got my cb working and radio working but I am unsure about the radio. Does this radio require an amp to get sound to the speakers?

The radio comes to life and goes thru all the functions like it should but puts out no sound. I checked the speakers and they are in good condition. So my question is where is the amp if there is one, or what is it I might be doing wrong?:guitarist 2:

I have been working on my bike, got my cb working and radio working but I am unsure about the radio. Does this radio require an amp to get sound to the speakers?

The radio comes to life and goes thru all the functions like it should but puts out no sound. I checked the speakers and they are in good condition. So my question is where is the amp if there is one, or what is it I might be doing wrong?:guitarist 2:

Try pushing the intercom button....

Today, I have just developed a very high squeal in the headset. I have tried to trouble shoot by using various headset in different helmets and changing out the various cables to no effect. The squeal does not affect the external speakers. It is only present when the lower end cable is plugged into the bike connection. Its the same with the passenger connection also.

I really need the communication between rider and passenger.

Any suggestion???:confused24:

Rick A.

Today, I have just developed a very high squeal in the headset. I have tried to trouble shoot by using various headset in different helmets and changing out the various cables to no effect. The squeal does not affect the external speakers. It is only present when the lower end cable is plugged into the bike connection. Its the same with the passenger connection also.

I really need the communication between rider and passenger.

Any suggestion???:confused24:

Rick A.

Is it constant or does it change pitch with the engine RPM...??

http://www.cast-aways.com/codypics/FinalCodyPatch.2.jpg

It is a constant very very high pitch. I had the problem once before and found the problem to be a short in the wire, actually was caused by the cable getting cought in the rear break caliper, had a very high pitch squeal disconnected the plug cleaned out the caliper, new cable and worked fine. The cable I am using now is brand new bought from a honda shop here in san antonio, then switched out cables and all have the same problem.

Rick A.

It is a constant very very high pitch. I had the problem once before and found the problem to be a short in the wire, actually was caused by the cable getting cought in the rear break caliper, had a very high pitch squeal disconnected the plug cleaned out the caliper, new cable and worked fine. The cable I am using now is brand new bought from a honda shop here in san antonio, then switched out cables and all have the same problem.

Rick A.

#1 I'm not sure how a antenna cable gets even close to the rear caliper, but wadda I know. # 2 if the squeel is constant and it doesn't come thru the speakers then the problem is somewhere between the AMP and the headset connections. Have you tried unplugging the controller dash panal and replugging it again. Sometimes it's just a bad connection in the plugs. If that doesn't solve the problem you may need to pull the left dash and get in there and clean the plugs on the amp.

http://www.cast-aways.com/codypics/FinalCodyPatch.2.jpg

"#1 I'm not sure how a antenna cable gets even close to the rear caliper, but wadda I know."

It was not the antenna cable it was the passenger com. cable that got cought by the caliper. I was running with the right side saddle bag off so the wheel was exposed to the elements. In case you hadn't noticed on my avatar I have a 08 RSV. I don't think I can remove my left panel.

I hate electronics!!!:scratchchin::shock3::crying::confused24:

Rick A.

"#1 I'm not sure how a antenna cable gets even close to the rear caliper, but wadda I know."

It was not the antenna cable it was the passenger com. cable that got cought by the caliper. I was running with the right side saddle bag off so the wheel was exposed to the elements. In case you hadn't noticed on my avatar I have a 08 RSV. I don't think I can remove my left panel.

I hate electronics!!!:scratchchin::shock3::crying::confused24:

Rick A.

The title of this thread is about an '86. SO you might want to post your question/problem in the 2ndGen forum. Tagging it onto a 1stGen thread isn't much help. Also I'm as dumb as a brick when it comes to messing with a 2ndGen audio systems. Someday I'm sure I'll be a little better versed, just not now.... :)

Yes, there is an amp. The radio is simply the tuner portion of the system. On the radio face is a button that will send the sound to the headset or to the speakers. If you get sound to your headset then it may be as simple as pushing the button for it to go to the speakers. The button may not be functioning. If you aren't getting any radio sound anywhere, your intercom maybe on and highly sensitive and overriding the radio function of the system. Because the CB will override both the radio & intercom, you maybe be hearing it but nothing else. If you're hearing the CB through the speakers, then your headset/speaker button is set to speaker mode.

Dave

Also check to see that the radio is set down into the connectors on the bottom of the radio unit. This is it's connection to the amp/control unit underneath. When I first got my '86 I didn't have the left channel and it was because of this connector.

After this many years the plastic changes a bit and the connectors spread apart a bit.

Dave

I have absolutely no sound coming from anywhere. I do not have a headset of any kind. So one question was answered there is an amp, now where is that amp located? I have never owned a touring bike before nor did i recieve any kind of owners/operating manual. When I found the bike it was in a fairly sad shape. I have done alot of work to it to get it back on the road. So I have power to the head unit and my speakers are good, the cb powers up and the PTT button functions. Also on the radio head unit on the bottom there are 2 buttons. One is marked "AMP" the other button is not readable and is also missing. what is this button. The person said the radio and all worked prior to the bike going into storage before my purchase. Thanks so much for the info I have recieved thus far.

I have absolutely no sound coming from anywhere. I do not have a headset of any kind. So one question was answered there is an amp, now where is that amp located? I have never owned a touring bike before nor did i recieve any kind of owners/operating manual. When I found the bike it was in a fairly sad shape. I have done alot of work to it to get it back on the road. So I have power to the head unit and my speakers are good, the cb powers up and the PTT button functions. Also on the radio head unit on the bottom there are 2 buttons. One is marked "AMP" the other button is not readable and is also missing. what is this button. The person said the radio and all worked prior to the bike going into storage before my purchase. Thanks so much for the info I have recieved thus far.

Below the word Amplifier is one button. It's to the right up against the intercom volume/tone control knobs. On the left side toward the volume control knob is a noise sensor which is used by the auto volume sensor (the sensitivity control is around the volume knob.

The noise sensor has a weatherproof cover that is often broken.

That right hand button switches the radio and CB output between the speakers and headsets. If it's switched to headset (there is a LED above it that should light if it's switched to headset) nothing will come out the speakers. The intercom always goes to the headsets.

If that headset light is lit it's likely your problem. Push the button to turn the light off. If the light won't turn off you'll need to clean the switch.

If the amp thinks there is a tape in the deck it won't play the radio. The CB should override both the tape deck and the radio. Turn the squelch all the way down on the CB to make sure you are receiving noise to check for this condition.

It's also possible the speakers are bad or unplugged. You can reach the speaker plugs by pulling the front turn signals.

The amp is in the left fairing below the radio. That's about the last place you should look for the problem though.

I did as instructed and still no sound. I have cleaned contacts and made sure head unit is seated all the way. I will check for manual tomorrow when I have access to a printer. Thank you for the help thus far. Is there anything else I can check/do before persuing the amp?

You've probably already done this, but turn the CB is off... Other than that it's on to the amp connections... WEll.... one more thing. pull the front turn signals out and behind them there should be a green speaker connector in there somewhere. If you can get to it, clean them and see what happens...

I had an '83 where the speakers would cut in and out. I cleaned the controller plugs with electrical spray and cured the problem. Pull the tape deck and radiio controller panel. On the underside there are two buss plugs. Give them a shot of elec contact cleaner and reinstall the panel. Wiggle it around a bit when pushing it down. The panel is made to remove off the bike. That's why is has a lock on it and the two chrome handles..... Just another thought...:confused07: