Guest tx2sturgis
Brian, dumb question. I have a Window's XP home desktop and use both Outlook (my main e-mail account) and Outlook Express (my secondary account for STAR Touring business only). I am not that savy on all this computer "stuff" - but may be in the market for something portable to carry around - to be able to check e-mail, etc. Would the IPAD do that - or am I "stuck" to getting the laptop, whatever? Good thread - thanks for sharing your knowledge on this.

Youre not 'stuck' in the windows world unless you choose to be. There are lots of options.

And yes, the iPad will do just about everything a laptop will do. There are a couple of notable exceptions, but I'm pretty sure they dont apply in your situation.

First, the original iPad (1) cant do video editing. At least, not as fluidly as the new iPad2. So if you DO want to do video editing on the 'fly', get an iPad2, which means a short wait. (as I write this, iPad2's are sold out in most places).

Second, the iPads are perfectly capable of sending and receiving email, but you probably wont want to write LONG text documents on one. You can certainly get by doing so, but the virtual keyboard is better suited for shorter typing sessions. By shorter, I'd say less than 15-20 minutes at a time. If you plan on actually typing for hours on end while on a business trip, or writing articles for a newsletter, you either need a regular full size laptop, or an external keyboard for the iPad, which makes it as bulky as a laptop. It can be done, but I would have to say in all fairness, its not really the right tool for that job. And it also depends on your typing prowess, the faster you are at touch typing, the SLOWER you will be on the iPad. If your a hunt-n-peck typist like me, the iPad wont slow you down much at all. If you touch type at a blazingly fast rate, say 70-90 wpm, you might do 40-50 on the iPad. If you normally type at 40-60 wpm, the iPad might have you down around say 30-40. And if you type at about 20-30 wpm, you will probably type at about 20-30 on the iPad also. It also depends on how much you practice on it. And, if you have large hands, the iPad will feel cramped. But if you have normal or small hands, its fine. One option availaible is the speech recognition apps, and they are actually pretty good. I have Dragon Dictation on mine and its a free app. It gets close to 95% accuracy, IF you speak distinctly, and speak into the mic. Its not perfect, but you can edit the text afterwards with the keyboard.

Another thing an iPad wont do: Run windows programs. Its not designed to do that at all. So if you NEED Outlook, (because your work email requires it for example) or some other Windows program like AutoCAD, or Adobe Photoshop X.x, then you wont be able to run those exact programs on an iPad. But in most cases, whatever that program does, there is an app for that on the iPad, and most of them are designed to be VERY easy to learn...and thats not lipservice...its a fact.

And one more thing an iPad wont do: They dont get hot while in use....they dont even get warm. Most laptops do.

Where the iPad excels is being portable and letting you get normal everyday things done at a rest area, roadside diner, airport, your bedroom, local beer drinking joint, McDonalds, your garage, anywhere. I love it and will not travel without it now. You get to hold the internet in your hands and its a very intimate experience. When was the last time you heard that about a computer? They dont need 'maintenence' or virus scanners, nor do they have a hard drive that can and will fail. Every couple of days, or every week or two, just plug it in to your main computer, to do whats called a 'synch', and all the files, pictures, documents, email, apps, songs, calendar events, and contacts are backed up to your main computer. (Hopefully you have a backup strategy on THAT computer as well)

If you are serious about these, I recommend that you watch the videos on the iPads.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/#video

Also, here is a listing of the builtin apps...but you will be downloading lots more from the App store.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/built-in-apps

I'm not trying to sound like a commercial, I dont get a penny from Apple if you buy one. I'm not even an Apple stockholder, although I sure wish I would have bought some Apple stock 10 or 15 years ago. I could almost retire now!

Edited by tx2sturgis

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tx2sturgis
Brian, dumb question. I have a Window's XP home desktop and use both Outlook (my main e-mail account) and Outlook Express (my secondary account for STAR Touring business only). I am not that savy on all this computer "stuff" - but may be in the market for something portable to carry around - to be able to check e-mail, etc. Would the IPAD do that - or am I "stuck" to getting the laptop, whatever? Good thread - thanks for sharing your knowledge on this.

Just in case your still wondering about email:

Your Outlook and Outlook Express are not email accounts...they are actually just an email 'program'...or what we call an email 'client'...meaning your email address actually exists whether you use those email clients or something else, like the 'Mail' program on an iPad.

Once you set up your email account for say, hotmail, gmail, or yahoo mail, or ALL of those, the iPad will retrieve the email automatically or manually, your choice.

You can also set the server settings so that any email downloaded is still on the server, so that lets say, you get the email on your home computer, and read thru it all. But then later in the week, you're 500 miles from home and you whip out the iPad in a coffee shop. Your email will be there on the iPad, also. Just like it was on your home computer. You can reply to those emails, and the replies are sent right out. You can attach pictures from your camera, or send links to articles on the web. Anything you can do on your home pc.

When you get home, the replies you sent will have been stored on the outgoing server, so copies are right there on your home computer in Outlook, just as if you had sent them from there.

Or you can set up different accounts, one for the iPad, and one for the home pc....its all up to you.

These are things that any portable laptop computer can do. But the iPad is WAY ahead in terms of portablility and ease of use. It THE portable computer for carrying on a motorcycle. The little power brick is about the size of 2 zippo lighters stuck together. Most other portable computers have this HUGE power brick. And since it has a 10 hours battery life, its ready when you are.

Right now the iPad 1 is on sale in most retail outlets...and i love my iPad1...and there are LOTS of accesories, cases, and apps for it right now. Cant go wrong!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey Boss, it might be worthwhile to consider a new forum, one dedicated to computers, especially portable computing suitable for the life we lead on two wheels, and also...it might be helpful to eventually merge this thread with the other thread about iPads....

It's nice to see my nickname 'in lights', but it might not get the attention of some members who would otherwise be interested in iPad info.

Lots of threads pertaining to computers show up in the various forums....maybe it would be helpful to move most of those to one new forum?

Just a thought.

:2cents:

Guest tx2sturgis

Dang...I felt the ground shaking on that one....but I thought this forum was for issues using the website....well I guess thats close enough!

Guest tx2sturgis

I can already see this thread is gonna twist in the wind in THIS particular forum!

:doh:

( this is a bump in disguise)

Wow, Brian, thanks for all the advise, suggestions, and taking time to help me with this. I have friends who are Apple nuts - so after reading your input on this, I am really thinking hard about this - and if I got into trouble, I could call my buddies over as well to help me out. Very informative, I really appreciate this - thank you again.

Wow lots of good info here Brian. I actually am responding from my iPad. I have had it awhile but slow to understand how useful it can be. In the Windows world on the desktop so not real integrated together yet.

The flash thing does bug me ...

This Dropbox app you speak of have a windows version or only for a Mac?

Anyhow I will look into your other tips and see if I can get more use from it.

Thanks,

Keith

Guest tx2sturgis
Wow lots of good info here Brian. I actually am responding from my iPad. I have had it awhile but slow to understand how useful it can be. In the Windows world on the desktop so not real integrated together yet.

The flash thing does bug me ...

This Dropbox app you speak of have a windows version or only for a Mac?

Anyhow I will look into your other tips and see if I can get more use from it.

Thanks,

Keith

Dropbox is free for up to 2 gig, and works on iPads, iPhones, laptops, desktops, macs, windows, whatever.

Dropbox creates a new 'shared' folder on your iPad, home or laptop windows pc or mac, or even linux computer.

You sign in on the webite, create an account, install the dropbox application on your home pc or mac, then also download the free app on the App Store to your iPad. Sign in with the same account there.

Now, when you drag and drop a picture, document, or file into the dropbox on your home computer, the file will show up on the OTHER device or computer, in that machines dropbox folder. This happens fairly quickly, but not instantly. No physical connection is required, but it does depend on whatever internet connections the various machines are using. Wifi, ethernet, 3G, whatever.

Say your at home, and reading a pdf file you got from work. But its 10 pages long and you want to finish reading it later. Drop a copy of it in your dropbox folder. Say your cousin sent an email with 25 pictures of his new house...fine.. when you save them from the email, save them TO the dropbox folder.

Now, 2 days later, and 1000 miles from home, you whip out the iPad at the motel, and tap the dropbox app on the screen. When dropbox opens, there is a list of all the files you put there. The pdf from work is there, you can open it and finish reading it. The 25 pics are there also...look them over when you have time. This all happens over the 'cloud'...but its considered secure. Still, I wouldnt put files there that you would not want the FBI to see.

Now...say that you have finished looking over the pdf file, and decide to delete it, and 20 of the house pics too. Careful! this is a synchronized folder. If you delete files, then POOF! they are gone from the dropbox folders on ALL the devices that you synced up.

When you get home 3 days later and fire up the windows machine, and look in the dropbox folder on your desktop, the pdf is GONE. And so are those 20 pics you deleted. But you do have a second copy of the pdf on the desktop, so no worries.

Dropbox has some other features, including a public folder and ability to email links to files....Just look over the dropbox website, and watch the video.

http://db.tt/eYO1lbO

http://www.dropbox.com

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

For the ipad and iphone owners, here is another update on Flash content:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/03/14/adobe.flash.war/index.html?iref=NS1

The gist of the article, if you dont want to read the whole thing, is that Apple is winning the battle...and Adobe is capitulating....well in reality, its the consumers that are winning.

This paragraph and a half says it all:

".... iPhone and iPad users will encounter fewer of those annoying blank holes on web pages where multimedia is supposed to appear.

But in the big picture, if most internet access goes mobile (as Gartner predicted will happen by 2013), then there might be less and less reason for web developers to use Flash. It could be that HTML5 might become the norm, and Flash might fade into the mists of tech history."

Good riddance.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tx2sturgis

Isn't that thing fun? And 'cut the rope' is very entertaining...there are lots more apps that I enjoy...if you find a few you reelly like that arent on my list, let me know! I have a lot more, but those were some of the main ones to get you started...

That iPad will come in handy when your traveling...it's all you need to keep informed and entertained...by the way....you will probably have to buy a new data plan for the USA when you get here...otherwise your 3G iPad will be 'roaming' when you get here...and roaming data is VERY expensive...please check into this before you get here...I would hate for you to return home only to get hit with a HUGE data bill....

Later!

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest tx2sturgis

Annie, have you downloaded the ForumRunner app for the iPad?

Right now, here in the USA we have two carriers for iPad data, ATT and Verizon......I'm on ATT...it's $25 for 2GB, or 30 days....if you go over, you can buy more data, or just use it for free in any public (free) wifi hotspot....which does not count against your data plan anyway...

I'm not up to date on the Verizon plan, but it depends on whether your iPad is the CDMA model or the GSM model. If it's the GSM model, then you will be using ATT....if it's the CDMA model, you will be on Verizon.

Edited by tx2sturgis

Annie, have you downloaded the ForumRunner app for the iPad? YEP, prolly user error :doh:

Right now, here in the USA we have two carriers for iPad data, ATT and Verizon......I'm on ATT...it's $25 for 2GB, or 30 days....if you go over, you can buy more data, or just use it for free in any public (free) wifi hotspot....which does not count against your data plan anyway...

I'm not up to date on the Verizon plan, but it depends on whether your iPad is the CDMA model or the GSM model. If it's the GSM model, then you will be using ATT....if it's the CDMA model, you will be on Verizon.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Ipad was delivered right on schedule. I did play with it a couple evenings and I just honestly don't care for it. I absolutely do NOT understand the fascination that many folks have with the. It's not something that I can sit on my lap and tilt to a comfortable viewing position and have the keyboard remain in a comfortable typing position. Just makes absolutely no sense at ALL to me.

Now, I had refrained from reporting back on it because if other folks like those things, then it certainly doesn't bother me.

Now let me make something very clear. I am NOT anti Apple in any way. I have a couple of Ipods and I like them fine. I DO think that it is STUPID that Apple intentionally tries to prevent the consumer from installing replacement batteries though. Yes, I know that it CAN be done and have done so on one of my Ipods but they sure don't want you to.

I also don't have any problem with their computers. If that's what people want to spend their money on, it is absolutely none of my business. I just don't choose to spend two - four times as much for a computer that I don't like as well. :)

Guest tx2sturgis

Well ok then....

:yikes:

If you get a case for it that stands it up at a slight angle, its fine for typing on...and you can even get cases that have keyboards in them, IF you want to do a crapload of typing on an iPad...although thats NOT what they were made for. (yall dont know this but the iPads were actually made for bikers to carry on a motorcycle and access THIS forum!)

Well, you might have some fun on that iPad if you will buy and download GarageBand ($5)...if you play any instruments at all, this is a fun app.

You know, I just saw an add for a Samsung netbook computer called the Series 9 thats advertised as an Apple Air 'competitor'. I'm sure its a fine unit, but it lists at $1649. You can get an Apple Air for $999. or $1599, if you want one all optioned out.

Sometimes high tech carries a high price tag. I've seen some laptops in Walmart going for around a grand...who buys them? People who WANT (and can afford) a better computer than the $250 machines.

Hey...you gave it a try, thats all I can ask.

:)

• 3 months later...
Guest tx2sturgis

I also don't have any problem with their [Apple's] computers. If that's what people want to spend their money on, it is absolutely none of my business. I just don't choose to spend two - four times as much for a computer that I don't like as well. :)

http://www.informationweek.com/byte/news/231002608?cid=nl_byte_2011-08-02_html

From the article:

"....But Windows dying? I can't believe I've lived long enough to see such talk.

According to analysts and Microsoft's own financial reporting, earnings were better than expected, but Microsoft last week reported disappointing Windows sales for the third quarter in a row. Not a good sign. Not the Microsoft we once thought couldn’t lose, no matter how great, good, mediocre or bad its products were. And they did run the gamut.

Three sources close to the company, who asked not to be identified, told me Microsoft is desperately looking for ways to extend its brand into mobile--phones and tablet--where so far it has been unable to provide a product that really works well.

Execs at Microsoft, sources say, simply did not foresee the threat of Android and iOS based phones and tablets. Given Microsoft's tendency to lean toward the arrogant and sometimes the myopic, this doesn't surprise me. In the first edition of Gates' 1995 book ,The Road Ahead, Gates made scant if any mention of the Internet, even as Netscape and other players were recording record-high IPOs and prosumers were going online in droves."