IGNORED

Aftermarket Trunk for an '83 Royale

My trunk is busted up pretty bad from stress cracks and I need a new one. The PO tried repairs with something that looks like JB Weld and did a bad job. Pieces gone, etc. Anybody use an aftermarket one? Which one? Which ones do I avoid? I see a bunch on them on eBay and I am open to suggestions.

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask about this but haven't found a thread so far.

Thanks for helping the newbie.

I don't know of a specific aftermarket one.

But since you have all the mounts, it then is possible to adapt something else to fit on.

What would help is to get a picture of the bottom surface of other trunks, so you could decide if it was possible to design an adapter plate.

Might help if you took some pictures of your trunk bottom & the mounting points on the bike & post them here.

The pictures attached are a start, but this one has been modified some. I put extender bars in to move the trunk back 2", the antenna mount has been relocated, and the right side loop has been cut.

Gary

Dingy can't keep his fingers out of anything....:whistling: Moving everything everywhere!!:think:

Your best bet is E-Bay for a quick replacement. But you are probally going to have to learn to deal with the cracks if you ride the 1st Gens. Lot of good ways to patch them. You may be able to save the one you have but it sounds like paint in its future.

You have one? Decent shape? For sale? Color doesn't matter, I figure to paint it in the future.

What got me to looking at alternatives was how much it was going to cost to get mine repaired and the scarcity of replacements. The only ones I've found on eBay are beat up as bad as mine. Which is to say ... baaaaad.

And, my other bike is a KLR 650. You know how cheap we are. We just have to mess with things.

Yes, I know it's silly to throw money and time at a 28 year old barge that hasn't been treated well, but what the heck? I'm old too. And haven't been treated well myself.:backinmyday:

PS: Mr. Dingy ... I am assuming that all of the mounting system is stock 1st gen. One of the reasons I am looking at an aftermarket trunk is to have modern materials that won't crack when I'm 100 miles from home. I don't get on the road very often, but when I do it's usually for a couple of weeks with a LOT of gear. Over-packed would describe it.

Here's an example of last summer's G.O.D.S. ride. (Geezer On a Dual Sport)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z283/hilligan77/G%20O%20D%20S/DSCN0612.jpg

You can imagine how much I'm going to throw on "Teh Barge".

Edited by hilligan

You may want to consider upgrading to a MK2 trunk, they are .lots bigger and can be made to mount on the MK1 mount, or upgrade the mount to either an 85, or use a MK2 mount and modify it to fit the MK1. It's pretty much a straightforward modifications. I can supply you with pix if you need of all the different mounts so you can compare them. I can give you a MK2 mount for the cost of shipping but it is not in the greatest of shape.

You can also upgrade the saddlebags to the larger MK2 bags fairly easily. You just need the crash bars/mounts for the bags from a MK2. They will bolt up directly to a MK1 but to use the MK2 trunk mount correctly you have to swap out the rear subframe. I have partial assemblies of the saddlebags for cost of shiping...

You need a woman to teach you how to pack. :big-grin-emoticon:

Jeez! If it was my third wife teaching me I'd have to pull 3 trailers! And a Caboose! When we'd go to Galveston for an over-nighter she needed two suitcases just for her makeup.

Seriously, when we got to Roosville I shipped about 36 pounds of stuff home via UPS. Tent was too big, sleeping bag was too big, never did get to use my gold pan. My coffee pot saw regular use for everything from heating soup to warming water for a sponge bath. Oh, it was good for coffee too. ;-)

I did learn that I didn't HAVE to have a shower every night as long as I stayed dry. And I could wear sox for 2-3 days if I didn't get 'em wet. I ended up throwing my drawers away and buying new ones ... cheaper than washing them.

I had a good time and saw a lot of new country and learned I was okay being alone on the road. Met a lot of fine folks. The trip restored a lot of my faith in the American people. Nearly everybody went out of there way to be friendly and helpful.

I just wish my memory was better. Names have always been hard on me, but here in my 'golden' years it's even worse.

Which brings up a memory: I met a couple on the road in Montana. They had an early model Venture in the back of their truck pulling a big travel trailer. Names are Dallas and Anne. From Dallas Texas. Fine folks that fed us more than once. Anybody know them? I'd like to 'howdy' them and thank them again.

~sigh~

You may want to consider upgrading to a MK2 trunk, they are .lots bigger and can be made to mount on the MK1 mount, or upgrade the mount to either an 85, or use a MK2 mount and modify it to fit the MK1. It's pretty much a straightforward modifications. I can supply you with pix if you need of all the different mounts so you can compare them. I can give you a MK2 mount for the cost of shipping but it is not in the greatest of shape.

You can also upgrade the saddlebags to the larger MK2 bags fairly easily. You just need the crash bars/mounts for the bags from a MK2. They will bolt up directly to a MK1 but to use the MK2 trunk mount correctly you have to swap out the rear subframe. I have partial assemblies of the saddlebags for cost of shiping...

Pictures would be great and much appreciated. I just got this bike and am totally new to it. Big learning curve here.

My email is hilligan77 at hotmail dot com. If you get time in the next few weeks it would no doubt help greatly. I owe you a cup of coffee or a few of your favorite adult beverages. No hurry, I'm going to be pretty busy with other chores now that it's warming up.

I really haven't figured out which direction I'm going to take yet. Which is why I come here. To get advice from those that have been there before.

Thanks for all your input guys.

PS: Mr. Dingy ... I am assuming that all of the mounting system is stock 1st gen.

As Bongo mentioned earlier, the MKII (86-93) has a bigger trunk than the MKI, (83 & 84) The 85 is sort of the best of both worlds. Large trunk & removable, so if you stop at for the night, it can be quickly detached and carried along.

MKI & MKII are completely different mounting systems.

Enough with the Mr. crap, last person to do that much had a badge & wanted License, registration & proof of insurance !!

Gary

My trunk is busted up pretty bad from stress cracks and I need a new one. The PO tried repairs with something that looks like JB Weld and did a bad job. Pieces gone, etc. Anybody use an aftermarket one? Which one? Which ones do I avoid? I see a bunch on them on eBay and I am open to suggestions.

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask about this but haven't found a thread so far.

Thanks for helping the newbie.

I

I have a spare I bought 2 it's black I'll sell it to ya for 60 bucks plus shipping:twing:same as ebay Item#190503180880 DB Motorcycle trunk

Edited by felix

As Bongo mentioned earlier, the MKII (86-93) has a bigger trunk than the MKI, (83 & 84) The 85 is sort of the best of both worlds. Large trunk & removable, so if you stop at for the night, it can be quickly detached and carried along.

MKI & MKII are completely different mounting systems.

The '85 trunk and the MK2 trunk are the same trunk but with different hardware on it. This is fact as we just went thru this last month having both trunks side by side and compared! Same trunk, different hardware. The base mount is the same for all years, but with extra stuff welded on it for '85, and a more solid way of mounting to the frame via extra arms welded to the '85 rack. But yes, the hardware is a little different for the MK1 ande MK2. When I deliver the '85 hardware to Wizard765 at Kitchener this month I am going to have him compare the MK1 hardware with it to see what the differences actually are but somehow I think they may be similar...

You have one? Decent shape? For sale? Color doesn't matter, I figure to paint it in the future.

What got me to looking at alternatives was how much it was going to cost to get mine repaired and the scarcity of replacements. The only ones I've found on eBay are beat up as bad as mine. Which is to say ... baaaaad.

I'd have to go look at it again, I did drill the lock out to get it open and it does have a luggage rack. Should be at the shop this p.m. and take a peek.