IGNORED

charging sys. question

jlh3rd

ok.....just got back from Daytona.........i had to use my heated gear, gloves, jacket liner, pant liner.....what would cause the charging system to , at one time , to be showing proper voltage ( 13.8) with everything on....then later , voltage down to 12v...and then back up to maybe 13.2 ,,etc...and i'm not talking about the thermostat cycling off and on.....if i turned of the pants and jacket, the voltage would go to normal......gerbing heated clothes..and i have the updated stator.........the way i understand the stator, is that it's basically has "3 phases "...so , one could be acting up ?......what else...

Did you notice if the voltage changes were in sync with engine speed.

The stator does not put out good power till above 3,000 rpm.

There could be an electrical problem with your jacket or pants.

Or it could just simply be that even the upgraded stator can not keep up with the power demand for all of the stuff that you have.

engine speed has no effect

i guess it could be a problem with the clothes....

at certain times, i had the 13.8v....even had to turn the heat down......i was suspecting the stator might not handle it.......but other's on here have had no problem with the stock stator handling what i had on....i'm even running led passing lamps

just trying to run these symptoms past here to get ideas

Did you upgrade the Rectifier/Regulator? Check connector going to R/R and see if there is any indication of overheating.

Did you replace the three wire connector for the stator or hook in after it?

Any pattern to voltage swings that you can see?

As usual, check all the battery connections & main grounds, open, clean, & dialectic grease.

Gary

dingy

i've replaced the rectifier about a year ago......the stator wires were soldered as suggested.....connections have been checked before.....i've had issues with this bike that started with a dead battery years ago........as i check/ replace/ fix "stuff"....i seem to correct problems, only to have other little problems show up.........it took me until last year to find a bad connector in my heated jacket......but i still saw a load drop when turning on my old halogen passing lamps....now i have led lamps.....figured my problem was solved........only to have this voltage swing/drop show up again...........like i said, if i turn off the jacket/pants combination......i'm seeing almost 14 on the gage....but at one point with every thing on.....i saw 14.......