Since I got my 2nd Gen I've been following this topic pretty closely (something about having to replace a $700 part get's my attention). I haven't seen this discussed, but I was wondering if there is any common denominator with the shocks that have failed. Like is it mainly guys that run the max air pressure, minimum air pressure, mostly two up, greater weight load on the bike, etc, etc, etc. It seems odd to me that some go and others don't and if there's something I can do to help keep me in the "don't" category I'd like to do it. Anyway...just random wondering.

It happened this winter on my bike only in the morning. When I sit on my bike as I get ready to pull out, my rear shock (I think it is my rear shock) moans.....but as I sit up and down; the sound goes away.

I honestly think my shock is starting to show some problems. At least I am still within my warranty period.

Common thread with my last two Yamaha shocks dying in such a short time was that they were Yamaha shocks that couldn't be rebuilt..

That's why I spent the extra coinage to get a shock that could be rebuilt locally..

No rhyme or reason why these shocks fail. Just a poor/weak design for such a heavy bike. My original shock lasted 65k and 10 years. Got a used 2008 (I think) in it now and so far so good.

On my '99 the PO had the shock changed under warantee in 2004, and I thought the problem was taken care of. After reading a lot about it on this board my confidence started to be shaken. So I picked up a like new shock from a '09 trike conversion on Ebay for $40 bucks. That should take care of the :mo money: problem for as long as I'll be riding the bike....