IGNORED

Iphone thru stock headsets

Hulign

Been looking at all the info about adding phone to to the RSV setup.

What I have is an iphone 3gs and a HTC evo. I know I can get the sound from the phone to the headsets. Is there a way to get headset mic output into the phone?

I was thinking about building a patch cable like this

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/05/28/diy-an-ipod-touchiphone-microphone-and-headphone-breakout-cable/

But need diagrams and info on the coms setup so I can see if this(the mic feed) is doable.

I know BuddyRich makes a breakout cable for you garmin users.

Anyone have any info?

Basically the phone is a mp3 player and paperweight (we switched to Sprint) Thought I could use it for the GPS and music. But also my current phone uses the same style of headset.

Thanks for any info

Frank

Guest tx2sturgis

I can't help with the interface to the mic, but thanks for posting that link...I looked at the wiring diagram and thought...hmm...that might come in handy someday.

As it turns out, those particular 4 pin plugs can also be used on an iMac, and I assume other Macs, as a single port in and out, and keep the other dedicated headphone jack, and simply do some switching with the software.

This makes it easier when streaming out to the server when running my part time internet radio station.

You never know when things like this will come in handy.

:happy34:

Glad I could post something useful. I get kind of ocd about these kind of projects so for my girlfriends sanity I hope to get it figured out. Will be easier once I pick up the bike and can tinker with it in person. But that wont happen till the 12th. So for now I research.

Thanks

Frank

I made a pigtail like that for my phone picked up the parts from a local electronics store in San Diego. All you need is the 2.5 mm connector (4 pin) and a 5 Pin Din connector I also made an inline switch so I did not have to detach the cord from the bikes system to talk on the phone. Some phones may not be loud enough to drive the headsets so you can hear them at speed. Still working some of the bugs out (i.e. do I need to put in an amp or not?). It is still in the prototype stage so it is not very pretty. I need to put the drawing in a legible format and I will post.

Edited by etcswjoe
Still can't spell

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey boss......did ya notice I didnt mention how unsafe ( and other things) it is to yap on a cell phone while riding a motorcycle? Huh? didya? I being nice, boss....

:bowdown:

Your idea is a good one... I want this for the rider. She has more fun if we aren't stopping so much to see if the kids called. I would like to see what you have made up.

Also thanks for the Kennedy Cell Set... I will keep that in mind

• 2 months later...

Ok so I finally got a wild hair and decided to tackle this project.

What I was looking to accomplish was being able to answer the phone thru the stock headset without plugging in my phone using Bluetooth.

Here's what I came up with,

I already had one of these laying around. http://goo.gl/WB4Hs it's a 2.0 bluetooth headset dongle.It's even backlit. This isn't the seller I used so don't take my word for it.

It works perfect for streaming music from my ANDROID phone to the stock setup. You can play,pause,ff,rw etc. It works well when using a set of headphones but the mic is actually contained in the device. (will not FF/RW with an iphone or apple product)

The plan was to buy a BuddyRich cable and mod the dongle to accept the mic cable from BuddyRich's setup. Well I tore it apart and found the mic easy enough so I decided to hit up Radio Shack and buy a jack to use. When I got to RS I noticed they had the 5 pin din cables. So I thought why not give it a go.

I cut a male/female 1/8 mic cable and desoldered the mic on the dongle. I soldered the female end of the cord in place of the mic on the dongle and soldered the male half to the mic and mic ground lead in the 5 din cable. Plugged it all in for a test and BOOM!!! It all works.

I can listen to music or Pandora off of the phone and if a call comes in I can answer and when done hit play again to go back to my tunes. I had it cranked up to 70+ today and although there was a little background noise due to wind it worked great.

Couldn't be happier with the way it turned out. Also if I decide not to use bluetooth a simple splitter cable can be plugged in to do the same thing manually.

This was just a quick job to make sure it all worked. Will refine the cables when I feel like splitting the fairing to install that part. I also plan on buying PTT buttons to wire in to the front and rear headsets. While I had the cords gutted I cut a mic cable and shorting it on and off by hand didn't seem to cause and popping or problems. Will probably wire it so you can unplug the PTT button for full time mic at will.

*** side note

Messing with the fine wires in the cable I bought was a pain in the REAR. If I were to do it all again I would buy the BuddyRich cable. I suggest you do too :)

Frank