IGNORED

Inline Filter

I just install a inline fuel filter below the front seat. The hose is 5/16 and I cut the fuel line at a good access point under the seat and installed. Note, be sure to give yourself lots of fuel hose as it will easily slide under the fuel tank. I left the orginal filter in there as I only have 14,500 miles on my bike. If ever I am in that area working I will remove the orginal filter completely but because its kinda hard to get to I am leaving it for now. I am going to get some flack over that!! ha ha, but I can take it. I used Napa, Part#730-9561. I like this fuel filter because it comes complete in that you do not have to screw in the fuel connectors on the ends. The fuel connectors are part of the end piece that spins off when replacing the fuel filter inside, (filter replacement # 750-9566) applies. Oh, by the way, I used my carbtune also and it was great and easy to use. Now I just have to get brave enough to do the valves seats. Gulp!!! See photo attached. DanC:cool10:

Hope ya don't mind me adding these pics of the stock filter removal...

NOTE: Before removing the fuel pump and filter, be aware that you will have some raw gas draining out. Make sure you've turned your petcock to the off position and you don't have any ignition source going such as a propane heater, etc. (and smoking while doing this ain't such a good idea neither LOL) ... all "common sense" stuff but thought I'd mention it anyway.

Pic showing fuel pump removed. You have to remove both side covers and the "inner" plastic cover in order to get at things. The inner cover seems to slide out to the right side easier but even at that, it's a PITA. There is one screw at the top underneath all the fuel lines you have to remove. The bottom is held in place by a 10 mm bolt on either side.

[ATTACH]54143[/ATTACH]

This pic is showing the location of the fuel filter (left finger). The filter the right finger is pointing to has to be removed.

[ATTACH]54144[/ATTACH]

This pic shows the screw holding the black filter has been removed. This one is a major PITA as it has a nut on the other side which, at least with my attempt, requires you to remove the battery and lift the battery box up and out of the way.

[ATTACH]54145[/ATTACH]

Here's the fuel filter pulled from it's mounting...

[ATTACH]54146[/ATTACH]

And finally, the two filters removed.

[ATTACH]54147[/ATTACH]

That "black" filter-looking object is called the "Roll Over Valve Assembly" ... not really sure of it's purpose.:think:

Edited by SilvrT

The Roll Over Valve sits in the Tank Vent Line. In case of spill Fuel wpild come out of the Vent Line, because the uppermost Part of the Tank might now be the lowest Part of the Tank. To prevent this, this Roll Over Valve closes the Vent Line. Those Unit should be checked for Function and cleaned while doing Maintainance of the Fuel Filter.

The Roll Over Valve sits in the Tank Vent Line. In case of spill Fuel wpild come out of the Vent Line, because the uppermost Part of the Tank might now be the lowest Part of the Tank. To prevent this, this Roll Over Valve closes the Vent Line. Those Unit should be checked for Function and cleaned while doing Maintainance of the Fuel Filter.

Exactly how does one check them??? I tried blowing thru it ... my face got blue! :rotf:

Fwiw...I had know problems removing the fuel filter with the other filter in place. Once you slide the fuel filter off the two flat post you can pull it straight out the top to easily remove the fuel lines. With the fuel pump unbolted, there's plenty of slack to do it outside the frame.

Checking should be obvious if you knwo what it's suppsoed to do. From which Side and in which Position did you held the Valve while blueing your Face ? :crackup:

I was standing on the left side of the bike and the valve was in a vertical position.... :D

Heck, I can't remember... I think I tried blowing thru both ends but I can't remember which end blued my face...