I have satellite internet (all I can get where I live)...there is a limit on the amount of data that I can download in a 24 hour period.

My question: when I view something posted that goes to sites like youtube, is this considered downloading? Also, I don't fully understand "streaming". Are the youtube videos "streaming"...are they "downloading"?

I know I could call my IP, but I know I will get straight answers from you all...and I can get answers in English that I can understand.

Thanks in advance.

In a nut shell any time you receive anything it is consider downloading. Streaming is just a method that allows you to watch a video as it is being downloaded. Any information you receive via your connection is a download. If you open the properties of your network connection it will tell how much you have downloaded (received) and uploaded (transmitted).

Some ISP’s do have exceptions to the count, however with more users everyday they are getting stricter about bandwidth usage, hope this helps.

They are different ... check this out...

http://hometheater.about.com/od/internethometheater/a/The-Difference-Between-Streaming-And-Downloading-Media.htm

In a nut shell any time you receive anything it is consider downloading. Streaming is just a method that allows you to watch a video as it is being downloaded. Any information you receive via your connection is a download. If you open the properties of your network connection it will tell how much you have downloaded (received) and uploaded (transmitted).

Some ISP’s do have exceptions to the count, however with more users everyday they are getting stricter about bandwidth usage, hope this helps.

Your ISP will do their calculations based on the above scenario .... basically, how much data is being transmitted (downloaded) on your internet connection.

Similar to cell phone air time and nowadays, data transmission what with having the ability to Facebook and Hotmail, etc, etc on your cell phone.

Edited by SilvrT

I have HughsNet, not sure what the limit is, but I have hit it a few times, and then it goes down to dialup speeds or slower. I have to carefull of what I download. However between like midnight and 0700 they do not count against me, so I try and watch any youtubes or do major downloads early in the AM.

Good est...I believe it is 394/24hrs

I have HughsNet, not sure what the limit is, but I have hit it a few times, and then it goes down to dialup speeds or slower. I have to carefull of what I download. However between like midnight and 0700 they do not count against me, so I try and watch any youtubes or do major downloads early in the AM.

I also have HughesNet. 200meg in 24hrs allowed. Every time something loads on the screen, me meter moves a little. If I hit a flash based website, it moves a lot!!

I don't like satellite internet, but it's the only option I have at my location. No DSL, no cable, no cell phone service, no wireless internet service, nothing, nada.