IGNORED

Shifting from Neutral to 2nd gear problem!

Hi everyone, My 2001 RSV is shifting from neutral to 2nd gear most of the time!

When I see that it is in 2nd gear, I down shift one time and it will shift to neutral instead of 1st gear most of the time! I have to go back and forth once or twice to get to first gear out of neutral.

Has anyone had this issue? What was the fix?

Thanks,

Steve

Hi everyone, My 2001 RSV is shifting from neutral to 2nd gear most of the time!

When I see that it is in 2nd gear, I down shift one time and it will shift to neutral instead of 1st gear most of the time! I have to go back and forth once or twice to get to first gear out of neutral.

Has anyone had this issue? What was the fix?

Thanks,

Steve

Check the bolts in the linkage. They tend to come loose and cause all kinds of shifting issues. It would be best to lube them up where the linkage rides on them, and then loctite them when you reinsert and tighten them. More than likely will be the solution to your problems!

Got pix yet???

:big-grin-emoticon:

Linkage seems good! I did find that when the Motor is off and I shift into gear from neutral, while the clutch is ingauged, I have resistance rolling the bike for a foot or so, then it rolls smooth with no resistance!!

Could I have the clutch plates sticking???

Steve

I think that is pretty normal,, i

Hey Steve,

If it has been a while since you changed out (flushed) the clutch fluid in the left side master cylinder, you might not have all of the clutch "feel" you should have. The other thing I wanted to mention is if you are trying to down shift thru more than one gear as you are coming to a light or stop, and NOT engaging the clutch lever between shifts, then that could be an issue as well. Try slipping the clutch lever out between each down shift and see if that helps. The last thing I wanted to mention is, the position of the shift lever may be too high or too low in relation to your foot and the floor board, if this is the case, then you might not be lifting you foot high enough to allow the shifter to "grab" the next gear for a down shift. The fix for this would be to lower the shifter pedal (with an adjustment of the linkage) to make the shifter pedal more comfortable to use.

Just some thoughts,:confused24:

Earl