IGNORED

How to "Dual Sport" an '83 Venture?

hilligan

I just bought a low mileage '83 Venture. Seeing as how it's stablemate is a KLR650 I hate leaving it behind when I go up in the canyons.

So my question is: How do I 'dual-sport' this bike? You know, knobbies, knocking off 400-500 pounds, skid pan, 12" clearance. high pipes, safe for water crossings, making short jumps of 20-30 feet. etc., etc.... You know? A single track, mountain climbing monster!

heh heh heh :Avatars_Gee_George:

Hey Hilligan,

You have a few things going for you with the VR as far as it being an Enduro goes, the power for one, A 15" rear wheel can be fitted to the rear of this scoot for more traction. The Dinosaur Anti-Dives could be removed. The luggage can be removed, Progressive Springs in the front would be a great help. With the side bags removed, up-swept exhaust pipes could be adapted to the collector. Late model Brakes could be added. Better lighting could be added. The Mono-Shock swing arm is a plus, especially with the addition of a gas charged rear shock. Removal of the air ride system would lighten the bike. Thinner, more aggressive profile tires, as you mentioned.

Here is some of the down side items. Because of the shaft drive, (which is vented) water visits would require MORE than regular final drive gear oil changes and drive shaft lubing.

Because the fairing pieces are 25+ years old and can not be purchased any more, one good dump would turn your VR into a "naked" version pretty quick. Most ALL of the plastic parts are brittle, and would not last very long without reinforcement. The rear Sub- Frame section of this MKI VR would need to be reinforced due to frame breakage known on this model year, or an MKII VR Sub- Frame swapped in place of the older one. If you wanted to get really crazy, you could add a longer swing arm, and go chain drive!

As with ALL things modified, it would come down to "MONEY"!

If you have questions about anything mentioned, feel free to PM me, and good luck with this project,:thumbsup2:

Earl